I have one of my old laptops setup as a rudimentary DVR. I use a USB composite cord to capture the video and audio from broadcast programs.
Unbeknownst to me, the left audio cord went bad (broken wire) and I DVRd several programs without the left channel.
Is there a way in Audacity to take the stereo AC3 file and try to simulate stereo using the right channel as both right and left or must I just make the whole audio track mono.
If mono is the only way out, is there an easy way to do that?
Use the Track Drop-Down Menu to Split Stereo to Mono, then use the [X] on the silent upper track to close it. The remaining mono track will play through both speakers of a stereo system.
If you prefer you can Edit > Duplicate that remaining mono track and make it stereo (use the same drop-down menu), then try the Pseudo-Stereo Nyquist Plugin. See http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Download_Nyquist_Plug-ins#install for how to install Nyquist plugins.
Thanks. Sounds like a good plan. I’ll give it a go.
Thank You. Thank You. Thank You.
Finally I had some time to work with your suggestions. The Pseudo-Stereo worked just fine. Before I exported it, I ran it through Normalize then ran Orban Loudness Meter and plugged in headphones and everything looked and sounded good.
After I remuxed the files, I had zero sync problems.
Thanks again. (For this one, I tried one file that I had already run through Handbrake because I lost the original MPEG-2/AC3 file but I’m sure the process will work the same with original captures.)