Missing data block files after crash

Hi,

I’m using Audacity 2.0.6 on OS X Yosemite 10.10.1. I recorded about twenty minutes of audio and put my laptop to sleep with Audacity still open. After opening my laptop and trying to playback the audio Audacity hung so I forced quit - with the project still unsaved. When I reopened Audacity the autorecovery kicked in, but I got a warning about file inconsistencies and all the audio was replaced with silence. Here’s the log from when I first opened the project: http://pastebin.com/jxSuAT3c

After consulting this page I force quit Audacity again and searched for the missing .au files. I found them all accounted for in the temporary folder, but importing those .au files into Audacity showed that they were all silent. Relaunching Audacity still gives me the option to autorecover, but I don’t get the warning about file inconsistencies and the log only shows the first section before the missing data block warnings.

Any insight on where I might be able to find the .au files from the original recording would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

put my laptop to sleep with Audacity still open.

Not the best idea. When you get to the end of a recording, Export the work as a WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit sound file as a safety measure. Do Not Edit This file. leave it in the corner of your machine or on a thumb drive.

Someone will correct me, but once auto recovery fails and you find a debris field with empty AU files, I think that’s the end of the recording.

Koz

Some systems have a nasty habit of doing housework in their sleep and cleaning up “unused” temporary files, which can be terminal for applications like Audacity. For audio (and video) work it is generally recommended to set the system to never sleep, and turn off all “system maintenance” applications while you are working (they can be turned back on, or run manually when you are not working).

The current version is 2.1.2. In addition to other fixes and enhancements, project recovery has been improved in recent versions. The system requirements for Audacity 2.1.2 say OS X 10.6 and later. http://www.audacityteam.org/download/mac/

My Mac Mini has never deleted Audacity’s temp files in /var/folders/ while sleeping, unless Mac laptops behave differently.

If AutoRecovery from temp files encounters missing block files, or otherwise cannot read the temp folder where the block files are, it replaces the block files with silence without asking, as you can see from

20:47:48: Warning:    Project check replaced missing audio data block file(s) with silence.

But most likely the files were already deleted for some reason. The other replies point to safer working practices. At the absolute mimimum, save a project before sleeping and then AutoRecover will not replace missing files without silence without your permission, but export WAV is less fragile.

TimeMachine does not back up /var/folders/ so you can assume the recording is lost I’m afraid.

Gale