Missing Audio Data Block File(s) that aren't exactly missing

Windows 8, Audacity 2.1.1, .exe

I recently stored my Audacity projects on my Google Drive, and then downloaded them back onto my computer. The _data files and the .aup files are separate (I don’t really know if that’s supposed to happen or not).
audacity halp.PNG
When I open the .aup file, it says “Warning - Missing Audio Data Block File(s)” and gives me the options to choose from. For the first and second option, it says that I can locate the files and try to restore them to the previous location. I’ve never opened these files on this computer before, so there is no other location. I know where the _data files are, but I can’t open them in Audacity, as they are just a folder. Is there any way that I can open the complete project?

I recently stored my Audacity projects on my Google Drive, and then downloaded them back onto my computer.

I’m thinking you didn’t put the files back to their original location… Does [u]this page[/u] help?

If you are going to move files around, I suggest exporting to WAV, or FLAC, etc., unless you really-really-really need to save/move the Audacity project. In fact, it’s usually a good idea to export to a regular audio file as soon as possible.

Another trick that works well for me, is zipping up the folder and the .aup file into one archive and then uploading the .zip file.

Ah, I should have included the fact that I uploaded them to Google Drive and then downloaded them onto a different computer. The reason that I didn’t convert them to another file type was because I was unsure if it would put both of the tracks together, and I wasn’t done editing the Audacity projects.

Thanks, I’ll try that next time.

Different computer does not matter as long as you copied in any imported WAV or AIFF files and the the AU files are in the correct subfolders in the _data folder.

If you look in Help > Show Log… after trying to open the project it will show you the exact path Audacity is expecting the files to have.

Export mixes down to mono or stereo by default, but you can select one track and export selection, then export selection the other track.

Gale