Mic is recorded, audio is not - Latest Audacity version

Hi guys,

I plan to capture some gameplay with some friends, and I heard Audacity is perfect for recording the audio.
I want to record both our Skypeconversation and my PCs audio at the same time.
I’ve read a lot on the wiki but it seams that my headset is screwing up things a bit, for example I can’t find anything like the ‘stereo mix’.
Here are some screenshots:
http://i.imgur.com/TphtUVX.png
http://i.imgur.com/GQYaRJZ.png

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

Rik

The simple answer is don’t bother to use Audacity to record Skype at all. You’ve got a wireless headset which is a separate device to the built-in sound card, so stereo mix won’t automatically record that headset even if you had stereo mix and even if you could unmute the headset mic to play through the headset. There are possible ways round this, but they will likely mean delay and/or echo.

See http://tinyurl.com/kx5f55x .

Gale

I am not sure yet how to recored the Skype thing, I might want to just record my own voice and let my friends record theirs.
Would that be a suitable workaround?
Nevertheless, Audicity still record anything that my PC plays. Do you mean that also has to do with the headset and there’s no way to record my normap PC audio?

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong?

Ummm. Everything?

Skype by itself takes special software such as Pamela to easily and reliably record both sides of the conversation. Games take special software such as FRAPS to record gameplay as well as simultaneous commentary. And that’s with an analog headset. If you have a USB headset, that’s another complexity.

I’m not sure I could do it with two computers or one computer and a separate recorder — although that would stand a much better chance than trying to do it all on one computer. You would need something to turn your headset into a source for the recorder. That’s a snap with the earpiece, but not the microphone — and again, that’s with an analog headset. I don’t think it’s possible with a USB headset.

Somebody may have written special software to do this. What you’re doing is not an “outer space” idea. If somebody said I needed to do commentary to multiple people over a game, that’s how I’d do it, but recording the total show is a real problem.

Koz

If somebody had a gun and said I had to do this, I’d use two computers and two headsets. I know that’s silly, but Skype and Pamela on one and the game and FRAPS on the other. retrieve both sound tracks and put them together in post production. That would work subject to FRAPS stability and problems. Pamela and Skype are very stable together.

Koz

If the user was to hear the game and the other Skype party on one headset, wouldn’t FRAPS still record the other Skype party mixed with the game, giving you two copies of the other party that must be exactly matched?

Mind you I did not go through all those search results I posted.

Gale

You’re still stuck with the fact that Audacity can only record one input source at a time. Recording only your mic and the game audio is conceptually much simpler than recording your mic, the game and the other Skype party, but unless you play your mic through the headset, you can’t record the mic and the game audio at the same time using only Audacity.

The solution would probably be to record your game into Audacity using Windows WASAPI and the mic into another recording application (such as Windows Sound Recorder if necessary) and hope they don’t drift apart too much (or bleed together).

If you had a wired headset (green/pink connectors) drift should not be a potential problem.

Or you could try a “virtual cables” device to mix the mic and the game to a single device Audacity could record from: Orange .

You should be able to record anything that you can hear in the wireless headset using Windows WASAPI host and the (loopback) input in Audacity.

I’m assuming you can’t directly record that wireless headset using stereo mix, even if you had stereo mix. What does the Playback tab of Windows “Sound” show you?

If you have a device that has stereo mix you can record audio playing through that device. This means that often, you can use stereo mix to record audio playing through the standard audio out on your computer that belongs to the built-in sound device. If you don’t have stereo mix you can still use WASAPI in Audacity to record audio playing through the built-in sound device.

It doesn’t matter whether the audio is a game or a YouTube video, what matters for recording is the device that’s playing that audio.

Gale

I might want to just record my own voice and let my friends record theirs.

If you didn’t need the game audio, then yes. That’s the catch.

You’re not out of the woods yet. Each gamer will deliver sound with a slightly different clock speed appropriate to their computer, so even if you lined them all up at the top, there’s no guarantee they’ll be together at the end.

If this was easy…

I recorded a broadcast radio show that was done that way. All the people called each other on the phone for a chat, but I recorded the Los Angeles portion with high quality microphones and the other locations did, too.

That’s a cousin to how this was done. That looks like a fancy-pants Skype recording, but really each location just sent files to Josh.

Koz