Messing with the audio...

New guy here.

Trying to find exactly what I’m trying to do in the archives, but I’m probably missing it.

Transferring old cassettes to external hard drive to try to convert to CD. Have several live shows taped off the radio and some sound good, others not so much. The sound is a bit muffled and there is a background hiss that I’d like to get rid of.

How can I get rid of the hissing sound and bring the music out from behind the muffled wall? Is equalizer the best way to go?

Thanks
Frank

Really slow tape speed and really tiny tape is strongly associated with high background noise and low ability to perform volume changes. Hiss is rough to get rid of because the software has to deal with that and not change sibilant sounds in a voice, even worse because your tapes are already muffled. Audacity 1.3 is much better at noise reduction than the older 1.2.

If there’s any show left after you do that, then yes, the graphic equalizer is probably the way to go. One of the other elves has produced a “tone control” plugin that might be useful. I’m going to see if I can find it.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/unzip-tone-control-file/12447/6

Koz