I have a musician buddy who called me and asked about quality in digital vs. analog coaxial cables. Specifically, he wanted to know the difference in sound quality between the two. That is, does it matter if you use an analog cable to transfer digital data. I want to help him test cables objectively without having to buy a bunch of new equipment, if possible. Does it seem possible to:
- create a “known track”
- burn it to a CD
- Play the CD in an external CD player with digital and analog coaxial output
- Use the test cables to connect the CD player to the PC
- Use Audacity to record the incoming CD signal with digital and analog coaxial input
- Record the various combinations of digital/analog coax
- Use Audacity to compare the known track to the CD signal and measure the SNR of the combinations
By using the same PC/CD player as controls, different cables can be tested.
What do you guys think?