Max and Render time is out of control (Windows 10)

I’ve been using Audacity to edit my podcasts for years, but for whatever reason, something new is happening in the last month or so. I’ve never seen this before.

Once I’ve got the recorded podcast, along with the separate tracks for the opening and ending themes into my aup, I would always mix and render them into one track before exporting to an mp3. In the past, this would only take around 2-4 minutes.

Recently, I will start the mix and render, and the time to completion would grow and grow and grow and grow and grow…and never progress to completion. :confused:

Has anyone ever seen this? Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

This is almost the word for word scenario from the video forum when the poster is running out of hard drive space. Are you?

I’ve been doing this forever and now, for no apparent reason…

You said something very dangerous there. You are not saving your show as an AUP. You are saving an Audacity Project. This is an Audacity Project.

Both have to be there for the show to open. The AUP file is a text file that tells Audacity what to do with all that stuff in the similarly named _DATA folder. Double click the AUP and the show will open.

Koz

Thanks for responding.

Am I running out of hard drive space? Not even close. The drive that I am saving my audacity project data to is a 1 TB partition that has 938 GB of space available.

The audacity project itself is opening without issue. It is saving without issue. The aup file and the audacity project data are still intact and seem to be functioning.

Please always give us all three numbers of your Audacity version. See the pink panel at the top of the page.

Assuming you are using Audacity 2.1.1 or 2.1.2, it’s a bug that happens with render or export if one or more tracks are much shorter than the others. The render will complete if you wait for the progress dialogue to close.

The bug has now been fixed in our source code so will be fixed in the next 2.1.3 release of Audacity.


Gale

I am using Audacity 2.1.2.

The bug you are describing matches. I import a small wav into the primary audacity project where I have record my podcast. The tracks are usually very different in size. Thank you.

I was able to work around the problem and find a solution.