New to audacity and using it to convert my vinyl to digital. My question relates to a record set of more than one record in the release. I save all files relating to the conversion including the .aup and a wav file of the original recording. I follow the steps in the “Sample workflow for LP digitization” mostly.
For example, The Clash album London Calling is 2 records. I use Export Multiple to export the individual files and I select “Numbering Before Label/Track Name”. This adds the numbers automatically rather than my having to add them to the labels. It also does not show the numbers in iTunes but sorts them correctly.
What ends up happening is I have 2 albums named London Calling and 2 songs with the “1” number and each number that follows. What I’d like is one album and a series of track numbers from 1 to the total of all songs in the 2 record set.
I’m thinking I could copy and pasted all the audacity files into on long file. That would do the job I imagine.
My question is what is the best practice for handling these multi record sets for bringing the mp3 files into iTunes?
“Best Practice” in this case is whatever works for you.
Copy-paste all the files into one long project would do the job. You could also record both discs into one track in one Audacity project to begin with.
iTunes often handles with with, for example, “London Calling [disc 1]” and “London Calling [disc 2]”.
By the way, you don’t have to add the numbers to the file names if you export to MP3 or AIF. Audacity adds the “Track Number” metadata during the Export Multiple, and iTunes reads that and gives the imported tracks the correct number. I’m not sure what happens with WAV files, as I don’t use them. I export to AIF, then let iTunes do the conversion to MP3.
Thanks Bill. Some good ideas. I’ve only done a few conversions. Then I ran into this issue.
It didn’t occur to me to record all the discs to one .aup file. I’ll give that a try. I’m mostly concerned as to how I will manage my music in mp3 format and I do use iTunes.
That sounds like a good way to do it. Where would I add that tag? I understand if I created separate .aup file and named them as such. But that would mean each disc would have the file numbering start over at 1. But then if the name of the album is tagged then that would not be a problem.
Before you do the Export Multiple, open the Metadata Editor. Clear all the fields except the “Artist Name” and “Album Title” fields, and fill those in as appropriate. You could put something in the “Genre” and “Year” fields if you want. During the Export Multiple, Audacity will fill in the “Track Title” field using the label contents, and fill in the “Track Number” field appropriately.
Thanks for your help Bill. I’m a database guy and know from experience what it’s like to get deep into a project only to wish I did things differently to start off with. So I want to get it right make sure I can see down the road as far as possible.
What I’ve settled on for now is a pretty simple workflow. I record multiple album sets individually. Do any adjustments. Tag the tracks. Export as multiple.
In iTunes I use “Add to Library” to import them into iTunes. Next I go to the “Recently Added” in iTunes and find the tracks I just added. I select them and do a group edit. That is where I add the album name with the “Disc 2” appended and any other meta data. I get my desired result which is all tracks are organized and sorting by the vinyl they came off of in multi record sets. It does this both in iTunes and as mp3 files and .aup files.
Once I convert to mp3 I probably won’t go back to the .aup files again. I just want this all to work in my iTunes library.
One tip I can share is to go into you iTunes settings and set the Recently Added to clear out everyday. It’s comes set to do that every 2 weeks. You’d have too many tracks to sort through to find the ones just added. One days worth isn’t so bad. To do this I click on Recently Added and at the top left under the words Recently Added you will see Edit Rules. Click on that to configure what get displayed there. I just set the Date Added to 1 day. That is not bad to work with.