Make Stereo Track now slow: mixes and renders now, prev. would instantly join

Somewhere after v3.3.3, and noticed on v3.4.2 for Mac OS (Intel) previously when choosing Make Stereo track I would instantly get two mono tracks joined with the first as left and the second as right channel. Great.

Now though, BUG ???, when I choose “Make Stereo Track” somehow the functionality has switched to the extremely slow (30 seconds on this old iMac) Render and Mix function instead of the older functionality that was instant.

For now I am forced to switch to an older version. Sad for me.

Please change the functionality back so that it’s efficient.

Also, while at it, FEATURE REQUEST, please add a recording preference to automatically pre-assign the odd and even channels as left and right stereo pairs so the whole process is sped up.

Thanks.

It isn’t a bug. It is an intentional design change.

Stereo tracks with different clip lengths in the left and right channel are no longer allowed (which is necessary to process certain kinds of stereo effects), so if you combine mismatched tracks, they have to be copied to a new clip instead which takes some time. Changing it back is out of the question.

Also, while at it, FEATURE REQUEST, please add a recording preference to automatically pre-assign the odd and even channels as left and right stereo pairs so the whole process is sped up.

We are planning to add proper multi-track recording where you can pin input channels to tracks, similar to other DAWs.

Hi…I noticed this new feature, too, and it has a side effect. Perhaps you can tell me a workaround.

I have a stereo track, with edits in it. I needed to fix something that was isolated to the right channel, so I “split stereo track,” made my fix to the right channel, and then “make stereo track” back. With the new render happening now, all of my other edits on those tracks have been baked in, and I can’t do add’l edits to my prior work. This isn’t ideal.

Please suggest a workaround, as this is something I do frequently. And I’d rather not have to keep them as split tracks.

Thanks!

Not ideal, but the only workarounds that I’ve found are:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.