Make Stereo Track now slow: mixes and renders now, prev. would instantly join (followup)

Hi again. I posted about this issue back in March and the newer function change still is a challenge for me.

LWinterberg mentioned: “Stereo tracks with different clip lengths in the left and right channel are no longer allowed (which is necessary to process certain kinds of stereo effects), so if you combine mismatched tracks, they have to be copied to a new clip instead which takes some time.”

But I am not mixing tracks with different lengths. My left and right track lengths are the same. So is he saying that maybe the update shouldn’t necessarily have to ‘mix’ the two tracks in my situation? (But it does, which is time consuming.)

I am digitizing many cassette tapes, four tapes at once, and end up with eight tracks of exactly the same length. I’d like to save tracks 3 & 4 as a stereo track. But even though they are the same length, and even though the left channel is 100% left and the right is 100% right a mix-down occurs.

Is there any way this can be fixed so that when the tracks are the same length and the left is 100% panned left, and the right is 100% right, we can get back the efficient code that doesn’t require long wait times staring at the computer screen? I’d really appreciate not having to return to an older version to get efficiencies.

Also, side note, the same bug exists in the current version, in that if I click “cancel” during this mix down the software always completely crashes. (Using Mac OS 10.13 on Intel.)

I’d prefer if when the left and right are at 100% and have the same length if we could get back to instant stereo track creation. Is there any way to get that speed back without reverting to older versions?

Also, as a feature request, under Preferences, Audio Settings, Recording, Channels… can the interface be improved by adding a way to select only certain channels? I always digitize via a MOTU828 and I want channels 3-10. Channels 1&2 are mic inputs which I never use. So if I could skip recording them it would save some time and wear on the SSDs. Thanks for considering this.

Somewhere after v3.3.3, and noticed on v3.4.2 for Mac OS (Intel) previously when choosing Make Stereo track I would instantly get two mono tracks joined with the first as left and the second as right channel. Great.

Now though, BUG ???, when I choose “Make Stereo Track” somehow the functionality has switched to the extremely slow (30 seconds on this old iMac) Render and Mix function instead of the older functionality that was instant.

For now I am forced to switch to an older version. Sad for me.

Please change the functionality back so that it’s efficient.

steve

Mar 11

It isn’t a bug. It is an intentional design change.

LWinterbergAudacity Team Member

Mar 11
Stereo tracks with different clip lengths in the left and right channel are no longer allowed (which is necessary to process certain kinds of stereo effects), so if you combine mismatched tracks, they have to be copied to a new clip instead which takes some time. Changing it back is out of the question.

Unfortunately I doubt that will happen. A number of alternatives were considered when making this change, and the current behaviour is what was decided.

One action, 0 sec waiting

The program does not matter what the length of each track is. The length of the stereo track will be automatically set according to the maximum length of one of the two existing tracks