Major Volume Reduction Issue

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what happened to my audio quality. I’m using the SUDOTACK professional 192KHZ/24Bit Studio Cardioid Condenser Mic to record. I’ve had no problems at all for months. A couple of weeks ago, all of a sudden, the recording volume plummeted to even the waveform is minimal matching the volume. Now, to get a decent recording volume, I must first amply the file, then get a noise profile and apply the noise reduction feature to the entire file. Since the mic is plug and play, there are no adjustments that can be made directly to it, so the issue must be in Audacity. Any advice?

I’m running Audacity 3.1.3 on Windows 10. Incidentally, I updated to 3.1.3 after enduring this for the past 2 weeks only to see the issue remaining. I even reset the configuration to no avail.

Make sure [u]Windows “Enhancements”[/u] are turned off and you can try [u]Microphone Boost[/u].

…Technically, boosting the digital signal while recording is no different from amplifying with Audacity after recording.

Since the mic is plug and play, there are no adjustments

I don’t know what’s changed but usually this type of microphone is calibrated for a rather-low level to allow for the recording of loud sounds without clipping (distorting) the analog-to-digital converter that’s built-into the mic. (There are some USB “podcast mics” that have a built-in analog recording-volume control.)

I’m not sure as I kinda banged around and tried a ton of things… but turning the enhancements off did the trick! Of course, I am so frigging angry that Audacity wasn’t working at all for hours. I have a deadline of tomorrow a.m. and this has burned through at least 100k of my brain cells. Thx 4 your help though! It might have made my project possible.