Macbook Pro OSX 10.10.5, Focusrite Clarett 8 PreX,

Hello everyone, a couple of weeks ago I did an 8 channel recording using the macbook pro retina 15 inch (early 2013) with Yosemite and a new Focusrite Clarett 8 PreX on Audacity 2.1.0 and everything worked fine.The Clarett 8 Pre X connects via thunderbolt.
Last week the same rig did a similar recording (I was not there) but the files turned out with “clicks” through it.
I just upgraded Audacity to 2.1.1 and the problem still exists.
When using Adobe Audition everything is working fine.
When monitoring using the hardware the signal is clean.
When monitoring or playing back through Audacity, the signal is not good and you can see the “clicks” in the waveform.
I am suspecting Audacity is not playing well with the driver (?) but it does intrigue me that Audition is working fine, leading me to suspect a problem with Audacity.
I like the simplicity of Audacity and would like to go back to using it as I am not the only one who uses the setup and it is so easy to learn for people who are new to recording.
Any ideas?

Regards,
Sandy

Try experimenting with smaller “Audio to buffer” sizes at Audacity > Preferences…, Recording section. You can start at 0 milliseconds and work upwards from there until you get a steady recording.

You can also try turning off WiFi.

Gale