Mac Sound Recording Quieter?

OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.1, Audacity 2.1.2, .dmg installer

Hi,

I recently switched from a Windows laptop to a Macbook and found that the sound is quieter when recording music. I’m almost certain it’s not paranoia because I’ve compared songs recorded on Windows and found them to be much louder. I’ve set the sound for my Mac to be at its loudest output and input in the sound settings and the audacity sound settings. Is the hardware difference between a mac and windows changing the max volume I can capture some music? It’s not a tiny bit different in sound as it’s quite obvious that the sound isn’t as loud.

Thanks

Are you trying to record a song playing on the computer? Macs do not have a built-in way to do that. See Tutorial - Recording Computer Playback on Mac.

Gale

I use that tutorial and have soundflower flower to record songs so I haven’t lost any quality in the music. It’s just much quieter then when I used to record it on a Mac. So I can have my mac at full volume when recording and I have to turn it up a far bit to hear the song. However, on my windows it only took about 50% of my volume bar while recording it to make the song really loud.

It’s a bit hard to explain but when I play songs on my phone the songs I recorded using windows only need the volume turned up a little bit to be loud. With the music recorded on mac I have to play the music on my phone at 75% to get the same level of sound coming out. I noticed this with my phone bluetooth in the car. Basically had to turn the music up a lot more to hear it as well.

Open Apple Menu > System Preferences and select the Sound preferences panel.

On the output tab, select Soundflower (2ch) and turn the output volume slider up.

On the input tab, select Soundflower (2ch) and turn the output volume slider and the input volume slider up.

Gale