Louder Bass Drum

Like shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsNoMA8Kyn8

How would one go about doing this? The bass drum is too loud in this version for my liking, so I would like to make my own, and there’s always more songs from various bands that could use a little boost on the bass drums. He apparently did this even without having the drum master track, but thankfully you can find it on the internet now, so it should be much easier.

Must be a difference in speakers… or you’re on a set of Beats Headphones. They can get bass out of a nursery rhyme. I think it’s gutless and wimpy with little or no bass. We’re talking serious hard rock. I should be able to knock the lamp over.

Anyway, select the whole track by clicking just above the MUTE button.

Effect > Equalization: Graphic Equalizer. this should give you a set of volume controls for the major musical tones starting with the bass on the left. Bass notes break around 100 Hz or so. Below that is hard bass and above that are mid-range tones. YMMV.

Audacity doesn’t do anything in real time, so you have to change and then listen, then change… You can’t do both at once.

There is a simpler way with Audacity Tone Controls like on your music system, but I don’t remember how to open them.

Looking.

Koz

One more thing…

Most commercial music is normalized/maximized. If you boost the bass (or boost the volume, etc.) you can potentially get [u]clipping[/u] (distorted flat-topped waves) when you export (save as a regular audio file).

Audacity itself doesn’t have an upper limit, so it won’t clip. But, most audio file formats are limited to 0dB, and your digital-to-analog converter is limited to 0dB.

The solution is simple - Audacity’s Amplify effect scans the file and automatically defaults for whatever gain is needed (up or down) for 0dB peaks. If you run the Amplify effect at it’s default setting before exporting, the volume will be reduced if necessary and your file will not be clipped. (If your peaks are below 0dB and you apply the default, the volume will be increased.)