Lost it all

Hello, I was working on a recording when my computer completely crashed. It came back up again and of course Audacity gave me a restore file. However, when I opened this restore file, most of the audio was missing, only a few clips played. So I decided to just go back to my last save file, so I closed the program out without saving.

But then, when I opened the original save file, nothing came up! All of the audio is completely gone. This makes no sense because I have all of the data still right there, none of it is gone. And I can still see the edit points in the audacity interface. There should have been nothing wrong with this save file.

A quick response would be much appreciated.

I am using Mac OS 10.14, Mojave, and Audacity 2.3.0.
Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 9.42.12 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 9.43.14 AM.png

Hello… can anyone help?

I’m really scared…

I had this same problem as well

So I decided to just go back to my last save file

Which was an Audacity Project, right? Did you change the project name between the two shows? We’re trying to nail down why working on a Project and creating damage should also damage an older project.

One of the Audacity versions had a serious problem where SAVE and SAVE-AS wouldn’t cross in a predictable manner. If you’re using Audacity 2.3.1, you don’t have that problem.

Somewhere in there, you should have Exported a WAV (Microsoft) 16-bit sound file rather than project after project.

Audacity doesn’t save files. It Exports sound files such as WAV and MP3 and it Saves Projects which are a collection of files and folders.

This is a Project.

You know you’re in trouble when somebody opens a post with “…I saved an Audacity File.”

Koz