Lost audio files on Windows 8.1

Hi,

I was working on a track in audacity, and suddenly the screen freezed. I closed the program and restarted it, tryed to open the file I was working on, and it said that it lost 39 audio files I don’t know what I can do, so maybe you can help me.

Thank you!

Windows 8.1.

It helps to say what exact version of Audacity you have (see the pink panel at the top of the page).

Was this an AUP Audacity project file or had you not yet saved a project?

Did you see a dialogue like this when you restarted Audacity?
[acr][/acr]

What was the exact error message word for word? If it said “orphan block files” try the option to continue without deleting them and see if all your audio is still in the window.

If it said “missing audio data block files”, then open Help > Show Log… . The log will say which exact files are missing and where Audacity expects them to be. You can then search your computer for them and put them back in the exact subfolder stated in the log.

If you need help, attach the log file or copy/paste what it says here. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Gale

Hi, thanks for your reply!

Im Dutch, so I’ll translate the error for you:

The project control folder [directory name] detected 39 missing audio-block files (.au). This is probably due to a bug, system crash, or because the files accidentally deleted. Audacity can not automatically restore the lost data. If you choose the first or second option below, you can try to find and re-establish their previous location of the missing files. Note that the second option can ensure that the waveform represents a silence.
Select an action:

Project immediately and conclude without further changes.

Missing audio replaced with silence (this session only)

Missing audio replaced by silence (direct, permanent)

(translated trought Google Translate so it can be a little weird)

I have Audacity version 2.0.6.

I don’t really understand what you mean with: If it said “missing audio data block files”, then open Help > Show Log… . The log will say which exact files are missing and where Audacity expects them to be. You can then search your computer for them and put them back in the exact subfolder stated in the log.

Again, thank you for your reply!

Choose the option to replace with silence (this session only).

I can’t explain it any other way. If you are running Audacity in Dutch, look at top right of Audacity, click “Help” then “Log weergeeven…”. Click the “Opslaan…” (save) button in the Log window and save the log file. Attach the log file here. Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

Gale