Well, no cigar. First, the You Tube video was for windows 7 but I was able to get past that. My settings are already set properly. See the attachments. The first one is the windows setting and the second is the Audacity setting.
By the way, these settings were already the default.
So here are some more thoughts. Are the PCs identical other than Windows version? Could this be a simple wiring issue ? Do they have similar blue line-in jacks? Have you tried using a USB input device ?
Both PCs are from Dell. PC7 is a tower system (XPS model) running Windows 7. PC10 is a laptop (INSPIRON model) running windows 10. I also downloaded Audacity 2.4.2 onto PC10. PC7 is still using version 2.1.0.
Both are using USB 2.0 connections.
I’ve been using PC7 for years. I just started using PC10 for this purpose about a month ago and discovered this problem when I was playing back a song I had transferred from LP to iTunes. It sounded funny and it was a group that LOVES using both channels. That led me to investigate a little further.
So I recorded the same song using both versions of Audacity and I could CLEARLY make out the separate channels on PC7 and not on PC10. As well as watching the recording meters behave differently. The meter on PC10 had both channels in ‘lock step’ with each other while PC7 showed them with different levels.
The web site says this technique is used to "Find out how different the stereo channels are: Use the same steps 1 and 2 above on any stereo track. If the audio is just as loud after the steps as before, the channels are very different. “If the result is silence, the track is not really stereo but dual mono, where both left and right contain completely identical audio.”
I know they are different because as I stated earlier, when I record them on PC7, the two channels are very distinctively different. The stereo effect is very pronounced. On PC10 the stereo effect is lost.
To jademan, correct. One cassette device, one USB cable to one PC at a time.
It’s not the headphones playback (headphones or speakers).
It’s the recording. And it’s enforced by the meters in Audacity itself. I recorded the same song on both PCs. I watched the meters while it was recording. On PC7 the left and right meters registered differently. But on PC10, they were locked together. I played both projects on PC10 and the playback meters from the PC7 recording were uneven (just like they were originally recorded) while the meters from PC10 were identical.
So now, what I have to do is record the song on PC7 and finish the editing on PC10.
I can’t ‘retire’ PC7 until I get this resolved. This has really got me scratching my head.