Local volume adjustment

I am using Audacity 2.0.5 on Windows 7 64bit. I have the problem when i change playback volume in audacity it also changes the volume of windows. How can i fix this? Could not find anything related to it in settings.

The Audacity output slider directly controls the hardware’s “Device” slider in the system rather than applying independent software gain to the current level of the device. It’s a feature request for it to have an option to do the latter.

If you would like to make the Audacity playback volume quieter without affecting the system volume, you can do that by left-clicking the speaker icon by the system clock, then click “Mixer”, then turn down the Audacity slider.

You may have to play some audio in Audacity before the Audacity slider appears in the Windows volume mixer.

Gale

Oh so if i install an older version of audacity i can change the volume directly from audacity without affecting windows? Can you tell me which version should i get? thx

Probably not, but you would be making yourself vulnerable to old bugs that are fixed in Audacity 2.0.5.

If you would like to make the Audacity playback volume quieter without affecting the system volume, you can do that by left-clicking the speaker icon by the system clock, then click “Mixer”, then turn down the Audacity slider.

Thanks for the answers guys. I guess i will have to learn to use the windows mixer then! Cheers

I’ll add your vote for an option to disable hardware linking of the Audacity output slider.

Gale

Thats great! Thanks.