Live Audacity

Okay, if this is the wrong sub then please let me know so I can move it over there, new to the Audacity Forums.

Anyway, I’m sure this has been asked a lot but, is there any way to do some level of audacity audio manipulation live? Like maybe not through audacity itself but with some other program. There’s a bunch of free stuff out there but I could never find something that actually works for what I need. I want something that I can talk into, and my voice comes back out edited, but it’s live in and out so a broadcasting program like OBS can use it for a livestream.

More specifically, I want Pitch control to make my voice sound really deep, Reverb control to make room sound, and Echo control sound it effectively doubles my voice very close to itself. I have a specific voice in mind that I want to try to do for my streams, I just cannot for the life of me find a way to do it without buying specialized hardware.

You can get [u]VST effect plugins[/u] and a [u]VST Host[/u] application. Or, virtually all [u]DAWs[/u] can also apply effects in real time.

I just cannot for the life of me find a way to do it without buying specialized hardware.

There is always some latency (delay) through a computer (because of the multitasking operating system) and various effects tend to add more delay. That can be an issue live. Sometimes the delay is manageable but a dedicated hardware effects box avoids the problem altogether.

Can you explain how I would use a DAW to do that? or maybe link me to a VST that simply installs and works through obs?

Can you explain how I would use a DAW to do that?

I don’t know and the exact steps would depend on the particular DAW. Most DAWs allow you to apply effects in real time while recording/monitoring.

Then, you’d have to figure-out how to route the monitoring to OBS. DAWs are “big and complex” so you probably don’t want to do it that way.

Same with a stand-alone VST host… It should be easier but you’d have to figure out how to route the output to OBS.

VST that simply installs and works through obs?

I don’t know anything about OBS. I Googled “OBS VST” and I got some hits. Maybe OBS is does work directly as a VST host?