Linux IDE for Audacity

Is there any Linux IDE for which an Audacity compiling environment is available–something like the MS VC++ Solution Audacity provides? Anyone care to recommend any personal favorites? I see Code::Blocks and KDevelop

I don’t use any as I’m not a programmer, but looking to my usual sources…

The two that often get recommended for smaller projects are Geany and CodeLite.
For larger projects it generally shifts to Code::Blocks, KDevelop and Anjuta.

KDevelop is often preferred if using the KDE desktop, but for Gnome it’s Anjuta that appears to have the vote.
KDE applications will run on the Gnome Desktop, but often have a lot of additional dependencies, so for the Gnome Desktop I’d guess that the best choice would be Anjuta or Code::Blocks.

I do sometimes work as programmer, but usually not on “graphical” software nor large (in source code size) projects like this. So I usually don’t use IDE’s (except in automation but there each maker provides its own IDE and completely different programming language, etc).

That said the only one of the mention IDE’s I’ve tried (briefly) was anjuta (a few years ago) I liked it, but it didn’t add much value to what I was doing then, so I usually stick to Vim only and I don’t use any IDE. I don’t know the others so I can’t comment.

My linux desktop manager is gnome but I often use KDE apps on it too, so even if you use gnome as preferred environment I don’t think that would be any problem for running kdevelop or any other kde app, unless you have limited resources (ram mostly), but in most modern computers that shouldn’t be a problem either.

The only IDE I sometimes use is Bluefish for html editing, but that isn’t of much use for you in this case…

Thanks! I had forgotten vi–it has been at least 30 years since I used it and at least 25 for emacs. I have been using gedit but it so lacks in features. I am using emacs 2.2 but it is less usable than the microEmacs I used 25 years ago on Amiga!

There are a LOT of extra features and customisations that can be done to GEdit. I’m just starting to make some customisations for working with Nyquist and GEdit is proving to be much more powerful than I ever imagined - but making all of those customisations is very time consuming, so if you are wanting to get on with programming now (rather than in 6 months time) it is probably not the best option. Until now I’ve mostly been using “Scite” text editor as it comes with quite a few useful features for programming (including syntax highlighting for Lisp - which is quite close to Nyquist). It also includes syntax highlighting for C/C++

Another text editor that regularly gets recommended is “Kate” http://kate-editor.org/featured-articles/

I’ve been a vi guy for many years… Once you get used to it, it’s hard to change to anything else… it’s one of those cases where you either love it or hate it! :slight_smile:

After you get past the command/insert modes and switching between both you’ll love it :slight_smile: [flamewar]Some less bright people never get used to that though, so they use emacs[/flamewar] :stuck_out_tongue:
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editor_war)

gVim is Vim with a GUI and it also has syntax highlighting (and you can choose from many different color schemes), among other features.

I only use other editor if I can’t have (g)vim available…