Latency

Hello guys this is a question that I could not find an answer to online.
I am currently debating between a USB mic and a phantom powered mic.
I currently own a Blue Yeti Mic, but have been struggling with latency.
Now I have been wondering, if a usb audio interface like the presonus 2 x 2 helps with latency.
I know that the audio interface allows for monitoring while recording through its headphone output, but now I am thinking about selling my blue yeti for a samson co3 and buying the interface… If anyone has any tips on overcoming delay that would be great.

I currently own a crappy samsung computer, but am getting a macbook pro w retina, so my computer should run smooth in terms of cpu and ram in the future.
Thank you :slight_smile:

I am assuming that your “latency” issue is that you are doing overdub recordings (ie laying down new tracks to accompany a recording), and for that reason you aren’t using the headphone jack on your blue yeti for monitoring.

There is always going to be some delay between the audio being played by the computer and the audio being recorded. The best you can do is to make sure that there is no delay between your monitoring and the live performance. The new performance will get back to the computer somewhere behind the playback of the previously recorded tracks, but that can be compensated for see this page for the details: http://manual.audacityteam.org/index.php?title=Latency_Test

So back to your query, the Presonus 2x2 and most other similar interface units will mix the computer output with a direct live copy of the recording signal allowing you to monitor with no latency from the live signal.

So you are saying that the interface will help with monitoring, but not the delay?

Thank you in advance btw

So you are saying that the interface will help with monitoring, but not the delay?

Thank you in advance btw

The system will get around to showing your post. Stop double posting.

The Yeti has a headphone connection in the base. As usual, I couldn’t get the instructions to say it will support overdubbing, but it’s worth a shot.

Set up Audacity to play back to the Yeti instead of to the soundcard or other system. Plug the headphones into the base of the Yeti and make sure you can hear yourself clearly.

Audacity > Edit > Preferences > Recording > [X] Overdub and nothing else. OK.

Create a click track or any other predictable track. Start the overdub and your own voice and the click track should appear in the headphones.

Maybe.

Koz

We went through is once before.

https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/blue-yeti-and-listening-while-recording-solved/30989/1

Koz

That’s funny. I skimmed through the Yeti manual a couple of times and never saw any indication that it had playback capability…

I think that Koz and I should convince the Yeti folks to send us free microphones, so that we can test their capabilities first hand and better support their product for them. :smiley:

And they will tell us the Yeti is inexpensive, insanely versatile and the most popular USB podcasting mic on the planet and what did you say we were doing wrong again?

Koz