joining WAV files & joining Audacity projects

I have several stereo WAV files I’d like to join as one Audacity project, and hoping someone can point me in the right direction? This is Audacity 2.0.0 on Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1, 64bit.

Should I open more than one WAV file at the same time, then cut and paste? Or can I make an Audacity project out of each one, then join them later.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks…Lyle

You cannot join Audacity projects together.

I would do it by dragging the files into the same project window, View > Fit Vertically then View > Zoom Out. Then press F5 on your keyboard which turns on Time Shift Tool.

Now you can click and drag the second track rightwards so that its start lines up with the end of the first track, then drag the third track so that its start lines up with the end of the second, and so on. The tracks will play sequentially so there is no need to drag the tracks up into a single track - you can retain the separate tracks.

Gale

That works just fine, Gale. Thanks.

The two files (for example) are now in one Audacity project as two sequential tracks and play seem-lessly. If I wanted them merged into one track, could I do that?

…Lyle

If you have the two files above each other in separate Audacity tracks, you can then (if you still have Time Shift Tool enabled) drag the second track straight upwards and it will jump into the first track. You can instead Edit > Select > All then Tracks > Mix and Render.

As I said, there is no need to do either of those. If you exported the two tracks as a new WAV while the tracks were above each other (the second WAV being positioned at the end of the first WAV), the tracks would be mixed together in the same way as playing them mixes them together. If you reimported the exported file it would look just like you had dragged the second track up into the first track, or done Mix and Render.

Gale

Thanks a lot, Gale. Good, clear responses to my newbie questions…Lyle