Issues with saving as MP3 [SOLVED]


I have been using audacity for many months in my new podcast. I have had no trouble saving .aup files and projects then exporting as an MP3. Now all of a sudden, when I try to export, the file looks like it takes a really long time to export (when before it was just like a minute long) and saves as a strange file - a “textedit” file. Before I started my podcast, I got a new computer - OS X 10.10.5 system. The lame file was installed initially and reinstalled in my process to figure out what was going on. This happens even when I save as a wav file. Can anyone give me advice to correct this problem?

Thank you so much for your help,


Please tell us your version of Audacity (see the pink panel at the top of the page).

If you are using Audacity 2.1.1 or 2.1.2 and are exporting or rendering a longer mix where one or more tracks are much shorter than the others, the progress bar will appear to show no progress and “remaining time” will increase continually. However the mix or export will complete normally in reasonable time if you wait for the progress dialogue to close. This will be fixed in the next 2.1.3 release of Audacity.

If it really annoys you, press the Skip to Start button |<<, click in the grey area below the tracks, Generate > Silence as long as the total length of your project, then export.

If you need to include dots (periods) in the exported file name, add a final dot and the required extension at the end of the file name when you export. So if you want to export “Mary.txt.wav”, type



Thank you, Gale! I added the silence track and it helped to give me a regular dialogue and the file also saved normally! Thank you!