Isolate Specific Sounds

I am a newbie in the area of sound recording and sound recording editing. I just had some new neighbors move in downstairs, and there is now a constant noise emanating from that apartment. It sounds like the moans and guttural sounds made by a human who is somehow challenged.

I hear the sound strong and clearly in my bedroom. It’s almost ambient in that it doesn’t appear to be coming from any area in particular. And, I can hear it even if I have the tv on or am playing music. However, because of the volume/tone/frequency of the sound, I can’t pick it up on a microphone. So, I intend to obtain a stethoscope (just ordered) and capture the sound through the floor. Problem is, when I put my ear to the floor, I do hear the sound, but I also can hear the tv/radio and human conversation that may be taking place.

I am assuming that I will hear through the stethoscope what I hear when I put my ear to the floor. So, my question is: Is there a methodology in audacity for isolating sounds at a specific frequency, tone, pitch, volume? I don’t want the human conversations or tv, but the sound this poor human is emitting. My reason for this is to be able to present the recording to my landlord (who was not told someone with this problem was being moved into the apartment), and possibly law enforcement if necessary.

Interested in any suggestions or approaches.

p.s. Why don’t I ask the new neighbors directly what’s going on? They have shown themselves to be highly secretive and highly anti-social. The only person seen coming in and out is not the person who rented the apartment, and the landlord doesn’t know who this is. The last person who knocked on their door to tell them their garage door was open got cussed out.

I don’t think Audacity is going to be much help. We can’t split a mixed presentation into individual voices, instruments or sounds.

Each voice is not a single pitch tone or note. Each voice is made of many different harmonics, pitches and overtones—and worse yet, they overlap and they’re moving.

Barely audible sound or conductive vibrations make terrible recordings, even with resonant chambers (shot glasses) and stethoscopes.

It doesn’t look good. Audacity doesn’t do law enforcement, surveillance or conflict resolution.

Koz