Is this a solution to a dreaded "Audacity filed to read from a file in C" problem?

My wife has created a podcast that launches tomorrow. Unfortunately, disaster has struck and she might have lost her first episode. The details:

She’s been using Audacity on her Windows 10 PC. She just tried to export her episode to a WAV file and she keeps getting this error message “Audacity failed to read from a file in C”. The file plays fine in Audacity. It just can’t be exported to WAV or any other file type.

I’ve tried a bunch of things that I’ve found in this forum, and none have worked. So I had a crazy idea: Do you know of any way to “play” this Audacity file so it can be recorded by another recording application? Let me say this two different ways to see if I can have it make sense:

Can I play the Audacity audio and have another software program record it internally? So that the other software program can then export it to WAV?

In other words, is there a Windows 10 application that can record system sounds? (In this case, the system sounds would be playing the Audacity file.)

Thank you so much!

Weird…

Can I play the Audacity audio and have another software program record it internally? So that the other software program can then export it to WAV?

[u]WASAPI loopback[/u].

[u]GoldWave[/u] is a commercial “competitor” to Audacity and there is a fully-functional free trial. It can also use WASAPI with “loopback” to record whatever is playing. That should get you out of trouble for now and then you can figure-out a better back-up strategy for the future.

There is another application called Total Recorder, but I think the free trial is more limited.

BTW - If she’s doing “irreplaceable” interviews or anything critical, it’s a good idea to have something else recording at the same time as a backup. Stand-alone solid state recorders are pretty reliable because they are single-purpose devices, but they aren’t 100% reliable either. Computers are the least reliable things we own! (Mostly because they are so configurable and there are lots of things that can get messed-up.)