Is it possible to separate solo and accompaniment?

Hi,

I guess the answer is no but let me double check just in case…

Suppose I have one audio file that has both solo and accompaniment (two tracks combined). Would it be possible to use Audacity or any other tools to separate solo from accompaniment, and save them in two tracks (files)?

Thanks & regards,
Lee

Generally, no. “You can’t un-fry and egg or un-bake a cake, and you can’t un-mix audio.”

Of course if the solo is on the left and the accompaniment is on the right, you can delete one channel and make a mono file (that plays out of both speakers).

And there are some “center channel” tricks… You can remove the “center channel” vocals (and other centered sounds), that is sounds that are identical in the left & right channels, by subtracting left from right. Or with more complicated processing you can keep the center and kill the separate left & right sounds. ([u]Vocal Reduction and Isolation[/u])

Other than that center track trick we can’t split a mixed performance into individual voices, instruments or sounds.

Even that center track thing has limits. If the production added stereo echo to the voice, the echo will hang around.

http://kozco.com/tech/audacity/clips/MysteryTrain3.mp3

Also note the bass and drums go away.

Koz

Hi,

Thanks so much for the information from both of you. It helps. Really appreciate it!

Regards,
Lee