Internal Error Cannot Open Project

I saved a project I’m working on to an external drive last night and when I try to open it today, I get this error message:
Internal error at /Users/runner/work/audacity/audacity/libraries/lib-xml/XMLWriter.cpp line 547

Problem details:
{
“timestamp”: 1644962104,
“event_id”: “1964907bdfed4e72b9dbe1b0a8f0e05e”,
“platform”: “native”,
“release”: “audacity@3.1.2”,
“contexts”: {
“os”: {
“type”: “os”,
“name”: “Macintosh”,
“version”: “10.16.0”
}
},
“exception”: {
“values”: [
{
“type”: “Internal_Error”,
“value”: “Internal error at / line 547.\nPlease inform the Audacity team at https://.”,
“mechanism”: {
“type”: “runtime_error”,
“handled”: false
}
}
]
}
}

The “line 57” error is a known error in 3.1.2. Fortunately, there is a simple fix. Upgrade to 3.1.3. :smiley:

It’s not the best idea to expose Audacity directly to drives other than the machine’s internal drive.

Audacity doesn’t have a “drive quality” rating, setting, or sensor. It naturally assumes it can do all of its jobs perfectly well wherever you point it. You might be able to get away with most jobs on a simple external drive, but success gets further and further out of reach the sloppier the connection is. Network drives have to put up with collisions, retries, delays, and error correction. Cloud drives may look OK, but may not even be located in your time zone.

No way you would be able to set up a critically timed music overdubbing session, for one example.

So getting Jademan to rescue your production is not a license to just keep doing it that way.

Koz

Thank you. This is good to know. Unfortunately for this project it was the option I had as I did not have the disk space to host it on my internal SSD. This is my first project using Audacity and am learning as I go, figuring out a workflow via trial and error to be refined in the future.

At the risk of repeating myself, there is nothing wrong with the project. The problem lies with a bug in Audacity that exists in version 3.1.2. It is a simple matter to upgrade Audacity to 3.1.3. You old project will open just fine in 3.1.3.