installation errors [Closed]

I suddenly began having the ap lock up when I clicked the record control - it didn’t begin recording and I got this window that advised of a “time shift” setting and that F5 would move it. I can’t locate anything in the docs and reinstalled a fresh version after restrting and having the ap stuck in this mode.
The reinstalled a fresh download and deleted the remnants from the uninstall but the new install has the same issue.
I can’t use the application. Here is the error log on the install:

Common;C:Windowssystem32;C:Windows;C:WindowsSystem32Wbem;C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0;C:Program FilesMicrosoft Application Virtualization Client;C:Program FilesQuickTimeQTSystem;C:Program FilesWindows LiveShared;C:Program FilesCommon FilesUlead SystemsMPEG'
8:42:27 AM: Checking that '' is in PATH...
8:42:27 AM: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
8:42:27 AM: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'avformat-52.dll'.
8:42:27 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-52.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
8:42:27 AM: Loading avutil from 'avutil-50.dll'.
8:42:27 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avutil-50.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
8:42:27 AM: Loading avcodec from 'avcodec-52.dll'.
8:42:27 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avcodec-52.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
8:42:27 AM: Loading avformat from 'avformat-52.dll'.
8:42:27 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-52.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
8:42:27 AM: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
8:42:27 AM: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.

If I can’t get this fixed PDQ I need to switch applications.

You’ve not said which version of Windows you are using, or the exact version of Audacity, or what the exact error message was, but this FAQ probably covers it: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_errors.html#sound_device

The “error” messages about FFmpeg are nothing to worry about - they just indicate that you don’t have the optional FFmpeg encoding/decoding add-on installed.

Sorry - I am in Win7 and am using 2.0.5

Since the first post I have uninstalled and reinstalled repeatedly. I tried both the plugins and neither, to no avail. When I try to record it just “stutters” at the start point and then opens a message window about latency control. I have reset the preferances to get back to default settings and can’t record. It just flutters at the start point.
I haven’t messed with the latency settings - they are at “audio to buffer” 100, and latency correction at -130. The only check on this menu is overdub - which I don’t do.
All I need is to record and clip the results. Nothing more.
And despite all the installation errors - it appears they got sorted out. Or did they?

10:57:34: Audacity 2.0.5
10:57:47 AM: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries...
10:57:47 AM: Trying to load FFmpeg libraries from system paths. File name is 'avformat-52.dll'.
10:57:47 AM: Looking up PATH environment variable...
10:57:47 AM: PATH = 'C:Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWindows Live;C:oracleproduct10.2.0client_1bin;C:Program FilesRSA SecurID Token Common;C:Windowssystem32;C:Windows;C:WindowsSystem32Wbem;C:WindowsSystem32WindowsPowerShellv1.0;C:Program FilesMicrosoft Application Virtualization Client;C:Program FilesQuickTimeQTSystem;C:Program FilesWindows LiveShared;C:Program FilesCommon FilesUlead SystemsMPEG'
10:57:47 AM: Checking that '' is in PATH...
10:57:47 AM: FFmpeg directory is in PATH.
10:57:47 AM: Checking for monolithic avformat from 'avformat-52.dll'.
10:57:47 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-52.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
10:57:47 AM: Loading avutil from 'avutil-50.dll'.
10:57:47 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avutil-50.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
10:57:47 AM: Loading avcodec from 'avcodec-52.dll'.
10:57:47 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avcodec-52.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
10:57:47 AM: Loading avformat from 'avformat-52.dll'.
10:57:47 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'avformat-52.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
10:57:47 AM: Error: Failed to load FFmpeg libraries.
10:57:47 AM: Error: Failed to find compatible FFmpeg libraries.
11:03:51 AM: Attempting to load LAME from system search paths
11:03:51 AM: Loading LAME from lame_enc.dll
11:03:51 AM: Error: Failed to load shared library 'lame_enc.dll' (error 126: the specified module could not be found.)
11:03:51 AM: load failed
11:03:51 AM: Attempting to load LAME from builtin path
11:03:51 AM: LAME registry key exists.
11:03:51 AM: Library path is: C:Program FilesLame For Audacity
11:03:51 AM: Loading LAME from C:Program FilesLame For Audacitylame_enc.dll
11:03:51 AM: Actual LAME path C:Program FilesLame For Audacitylame_enc.dll
11:03:51 AM: LAME library successfully loaded

I have reinstalled Audacity five or six times so far today. It works fine for a number of recordings and then get stuck in that fluttering mode I already described.
How can I get a previous version that doesn’t do this? I’ve used this program for years without incident until today! There is something wrong in this version . . .

Reinstalling Audacity will make no difference unless you also reset the preferences (Audacity Manual)

What are you trying to record? A USB microphone? Internet radio? Something else?

By the way, Audacity is free, and support is provided by volunteers around the world. We aim to respond to all questions within 24 hours and usually a lot quicker (much better than many commercial products). We are usually able to help with most Audacity problems, but you may still need to wait a short time for replies. The first step is to determine exactly what you are trying to do, but we can’t see your machine so we only know what you tell us.

Thanks again for your assistance. I am using a USB mic to record some narration.
I finally solved the problem by locating version 2.0.0 and installing it. I could not get past two or three recording cycles without the current version locking up with that latency issue. This never happened with any previous version and I was able to finish my task with version 2.0.0. without incident.
I will not be using 2.0.4 again.

The current version is 2.0.5. It is recommended to keep your software up to date.
It would have been better to find and fix the problem (which I’m guessing is probably just a setting that needs changing), but as you’re happy with 2.0 then I’ll mark this as “Closed”.