Insert new track between existing ones

Hard to believe this can’t be done. I can’t even find someone asking about it. As of now, if I want to insert a new track, say, after the 10th track/row, I have to add it after the 31st and last row and then tediously hit “Move track up” over and over again. Am I missing something?

You could move the track to the top, then tediously (but a bit less tediously) hit “Move track down” over and over again.

Alternatively, you could click on the panel on the left end of the track, and drag it up/down.

Thanks. Yeah, that’s what I’ve been doing. Oh well, it’s free, right? lol

For users with many tracks I can see it could be useful to be able to insert a track at a defined position in the project.

The problem would be how do you define the position?

The obvious way is to add it after the currently selected track. But what do you do if you have more than one track selected or only part of a track selected.

We would also have to accommodate current behavior whereby new tracks are added to the bottom of the project so as not to create a regression (and thereby upset users who are used to and want that behavior).

Another alternative, I suppose, would be to do it based on the currently focused track - but I would not be keen on that.

Update: I recall we did similar recently for Mix&Render which always used to place the new track at the bottom of the project. We changed that so that it goes just after the bottom-most selected track.

Peter.