Input Rec levels very low

Hi all, new to the boards here but I have been using Audacity on Windows successfully for several years. Switched back to Mac about two mos ago and starting to get up to speed. I have a MacBkPro retina, Mavericks 10.9.2, Audacity v. 2.0.5, also Soundflower 1.6.6b. No problems in being able to record and monitor audio from Utoob, but the volume levels only reach about -12dB… I’ve got the output volume on the Mac maxed out, I can’t figure out how to get the volume level any higher. I copied over one of my files from Win7 machine and the waveforms are at the same (correct) amplitudes on the Mac as Win, just to make sure… Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Near as I can tell, neither the Mac nor Soundflower can do gain. The loudest you can do is the signal level of the incoming show. Chrome/YouTube has its own volume control under the active window and that helps a little.

Koz

Have you looked at System Preference > Sound and clicked the “Input” tab? Select Soundlower 2 ch. Check that both the input volume and output volume sliders are turned up. Both sliders affect the volume you will record at.

Gale

Thanx for the suggestion Gale, I didn’t know about adjusting both using the INPUT tab. It certainly helped turning up both controls, but I need to check some other videos as the one I was working on has a low level anyway. I ended up recording it on my Windows machine, but am still tweaking the Mac.