Inconsistent split-paste behaviour in 3.1.3

I’ve recently changed to Windows 10 and am now using Audacity 3.1.3.
I’m looking for a way to consistently achieve the same split-paste behaviour I last had in Audacity 2.4.2.

In more detail:
I record voiceover, and sometimes, I need to create silent sections in the audio where there is a mouth click, a breathing sound etc.
For that, I used to

1. copy a long silent section of audio from the same track (I found that it will sound better than using the “Generate silence” function),
  2. highlight the start and end of the section that has unwanted noise
  3. press the shortcut for “split”
  4. paste the long silent section (and that way, get silence with one split wherever the original track had been split)
  5. press “split” again (and that way, get 2 segments - one with the length of the original noise, one with whatever excess length remains from the pasted silent section)
  6. delete the excess
    Result: Silence with the same length as the audio I wanted to replace.

In Audacity 3.1.3, instead, after step 4, the pasted section will usually lack the previous split. But sometimes, it does have that split.
I cannot recognize why the outcomes are so inconsistent and just want back what had worked before.

It appears to be a bug in Audacity 3.1.3 (and it seems to be fixed in the current development code).

Possible workaround:

1. copy a long silent section of audio
  3. “Ctrl + i” (split)
  4. “Ctrl + B”, then “Enter” (add label)
  5. “Ctrl + V” (paste)
  6. Click on the label’s horizontal bar
  7. “Ctrl + i” (split)
  8. Delete the excess

That’s a great workaround, thank you! :smiley:
I don’t get the part “click on the label’s horizontal bar” - do you mean in the label track? It doesn’t have the same grab-and-pull bar on top as the audio track. I must be misunderstanding what you mean. But it works even when I skip that step, so no complaints from me!

Sounds like the problem might be fixed in the next version then. Great.

Edit: It has stopped working again, so I suppose clicking the bar does matter.
It’s just that after first pasting the audio, the label had disappeared and the label track was empty.

Click on this:

Screenshot_2022-06-12_20-41-13.png
That will select the region that is marked by the label.

Thank you for clarifying!
Yeah, that bar (and the label) disappears the moment I paste something (step 5).
I suppose steps 6 and 5 must change positions and/or you can alternatively do Ctrl + B, Enter or selecting the bar (the point is to not have the cursor in the text field, I assume?).

Unfortunately, the workaround works the first time around, but then not the second. I bet that’s the bug again - there seem to be some pitfalls in the current code!
Sorry for being such a nag :frowning:
But thank you for your help!

Sorry, I missed a key press.

1. copy a long silent section of audio
  3. “Ctrl + i” (split)

1. “Ctrl + B”, then “Enter” twice (“Enter” then “Enter”)
  2. “Ctrl + V” (paste)
  3. Click on the label’s horizontal bar
  4. “Ctrl + i” (split)
  5. Delete the excess