Inability to update, one machine on a small, home network [SOLVED]

Hi,

I have a small (five PCs), Win7/Ent home network crouching behind an older Netgear firewall-router. All machines run the same version of Trend Micro AV. All machines have Audacity 3.1.2 installed. All but one will successfully update when prompted; the one exception won/t/can’t connect to the update server (that’s the error message). I have checked Preferences, and Updates are enabled. I have uninstalled (using Revo Uninstaller Pro, and including files and registry entries) and reinstalled, but that didn’t solve the problem. I’ve eliminated firewall issues because the other networked PCs update, and the AV settings are similar among all machines. (To double-check, I turned the AV off on the problem machine.) I am able to update Audacity via the updating utility Ninite, so it doesn’t seem to be a permissions issue. Could someone please suggest what else I might look at? I’m curious as to what the problem could be. All suggestions are welcome.

I think I would swap this machine and one other on the router—just to cover it.

Does it still do that with the other four machines shut down?

It’s possible your five computer network has four computers that are not broken.

Koz

I think I might run the Anti Virus software once in ‘thorough mode’. The one that runs all night.

I know you’ve been here, but what’s special about his machine? Is it the oldest one? Have you ever done a memory test?

Nobody ever does this network thing without assigning specialties. The tiny hard-wired machine in the bedroom does purchases. The big one in the living room does graphics and television. What’s this machine’s specialty?

Koz

Thank you, Koz. Those are all good approaches to trouble-shooting this.

You’ve been doing all the single-line, surgical, logical trouble-shooting. Sometimes on hard problems, it’s good to do something global, wacky, and unexpected.

I have a small (five PCs), Win7/Ent home network

This isn’t a casual, ‘watch Youtube, run email’ installation, is it? Are you a company? What is your purpose?

Koz

True I have found I can get into trouble-shooting canyons. I’m a retired computer guy who likes music and good software. My wife’s a retired academic, so she has her own PC, I have mine plus an identical spare I keep up out of habit (that’s 3), plus a laptop in the living room and a backup of that. They all have similar software packages installed. When an upfate comes out, they all get it so if I go from one PC to another, I know what I’m going to find.

Which one is the outlier? Is it on WiFi? Do you have “Guest” turned on?

Koz

My main PC (Dell Optiplex 780) is the outlier. It is hard-wired to the network, and has no wifi adapter. I ran a thorough AV scan overnight. It came up clean. I anso ran CCleaner and MBAM looking for malware. No joy there either.

The only thing I can think of is that the hosts file in Windows might have an issue. “Audacity” being set to 127.0.0.1 or something.

Another option would be to search the registry for that particular web address. See if it somehow got set to something strange. Be careful about removing anything in the registry without backing it up first.

Of course, there’s always the problem it might be DNS. In which case, “ipconfig /flushDNS” from a command prompt should fix that, unless the DNS settings are hard-wired in the network adapter.

Good ideas. Thank you very much.

there’s always the problem it might be DNS.

We should remember from the first posting that the Audacity Update succeeded, it just didn’t do it with the regular Audacity process.

I am able to update Audacity via the updating utility Ninite

This is where you sort through all the cause and effect scenarios just before your head explodes.

Koz

Head exploded years ago.

Edit/Addition: All the other apps and utilities that have built-in updating modes work, so the problem is limited to Audacity on this particular PC.

the problem is limited to Audacity on this particular PC.

Glad we could help.

This is when people stop associating with it, they walk down the other side of the street, they won’t make eye contact, and they eventually burn it as a witch, right?

Koz

It is like witchcraft, but I’m not a witch-burner. One of the main reasons I keep a spare PC operating is that–I sense already know how to do this–my disk-cloning software allows me to make an exact copy of the good, working system, swap the disk into the troubled PC, boot it, change a few settings–IP address, machine name, etc.–and continue as though there never was a problem. I won’t be doing this now because this issue with Audacity on this one machine is trivial–I can still update Audacity via Ninite. Still, it would be nice to figure it out and solve the problem, but in the end, it’s no biggie.

my disk-cloning software

That would be self-contained Linux on a CD (or DVD). Can you do that on a thumb drive now?

Most of the machines I built have a C:\ and D:. That’s come in handy multiple times.

it would be nice to figure it out and solve the problem

That would drive me crazy.

Crazier.

Koz

I don’t know about the thumb drive. That would be useful.

I don’t know about the thumb drive.

Sweet-talking the machine into booting from it would be interesting.

Do post back if you sort this error out. New postings automatically bubble up to the top of the forum. It’s possible even the developers might want to know.

Koz

I will.

I’d certainly be interested :slight_smile:
I’ve been following this thread but it’s got me stumped.

One thing that I would try which I don’t think has been mentioned yet, is to see if the problem machine can reach the outside world with “wget” or similar.

Short answer is that the PC having the problem with Audacity can reach the outside world with many other apps/utilities that contain self-update provisions. Does anyone know which port(s) Audacity uses to check updates? I want to check if that/those port(s) are open.