Importing from Tascam 8 track

Hi, I have a question about exporting from my Tascam 8 track into Audacity. I have managed to mix and master some tracks on the Tascam, then get them into Audacity by plugging the Tascam’s SD card into the laptop, which leaves me with a stereo master in Audacity.

What I’d like to do is export each channel from the Tascam (typically 6-8 channels have been used) separately to Audacity so that I can mix and master them within Audacity. Is it possible to do this?

I assume so, but the Tascam would have to create a separate file for each track, or a multi-track WAV or FLAC. Separate tracks are probably easier.

If you want to open multiple files into an Audacity project, “Import” the files rather than “opening” them.

Thanks for your response! Creating a number of separate files, if that’s possible, is what I would like to do. So far I’ve managed to get a stereo master track off the SD card of the Tascam - once on the laptop it’s easy enough to convert it from an m4a file (which Audacity doesn’t like!) to a wav file which it will accept, and it’s just a matter of dragging and dropping it into an opened Audacity project. Hopefully I can do something similar with each track on the Tascam to allow me to mix it after it’s imported into Audacity.

If you install FFmpeg, Audacity should be able to open it. But M4A (like M43) is lossy compression and if you want a file in such a format, it should be compressed once as the last step.

When you open a compressed file in Audacity (or any normal audio editor) it gets decompressed. If you later export as a lossy format, that’s another generation of lossy compression.

Note that mixing is done by summation, and Audacity doesn’t have a master mix-level control. So in order to prevent (potential) clipping you’ll need to lower the levels of the tracks, and/or you can Mix and Render, and Audacity can go over 0dB without clipping. Then run the Amplify or Normalize effect to bring it down to a “safe” level before exporting.

Alternatively, you can export-as floating point-point WAV which can also go over 0dB, then re-import and Amplify or Normalize before exporting to your final desired format.

1 Like

Thanks very much for all that information!

Having played around a little, I have found that the Tascam will convert each individual instrument/track to a wav file, so it’s easy to drag and drop it off the SD card straight into Audacity.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.