If there are Tools with (1) Microsec measuring option, (2) Microsec Truncate Silence option

My illustrious Moderators and Senior Team members,
The questions are already posted on the subject line.
I shall elaborate with the following screenshot:

How should I proceed if I also wish to automate removal of these sub-millisec silences?

Normal digital audio does not go as precise as micro-seconds. Digital audio is quantized to “samples”, so the maximum possible precision is one sample period, which at a sample rate of 44100 Hz is about 22.7 microseconds.

Truncating audio with a minium silence duration of 1 sample will probably do “the wrong thing”, because audio is crossing the zero line thousands of times per second, and any single samples that occur close to a zero crossing point would be removed. That would damage the sound quality, and artificially raise the pitch and tempo.

Yes, absolutely agree with you. It is because of your insights that you can design important objects, and because of that I admire you.
(Not because you hold the post of a Leader here in audacity forum and I need to comply to the rules of the forum and obey leaders.)
Your popmute program was modified (your presets have the form of a smooth curve, while I used discrete bands), to have me accomplish my need for -inf noise (i.e., reduction and removal) and truncate silence.

Please, there should be a tool that should go up to 22.676 microsecs for a 44100 Hz sample.

Mr. Steve, please also advise on the part on precise measurement: without my scrolling down to visually check and have an approximate idea of the measure of a selected band, is there a tool to precisely measure that band lower than millisecs?

If you mean that you want to precisely measure the length of a very short selection, then this code may be run in the “Nyquist Prompt” (in the “Tools” menu) to display the length of the selection in milliseconds with three additional decimal places:

(setf *float-format* "%.3f")
(format nil "~a ms" (* 1000 (/ len *sound-srate*)))

By the way, I’m just an ordinary user of Audacity these days. I stepped down from the development team when Muse Group took over.

Once a developer, always a developer. You have my special admiration and affection (yes, you surely are younger to me I suppose) for that.
And thank you, Mr. Steve, for the code line. Audacity hides far greater powers than it shows :slight_smile: .
I continue to use your tool popmute.py, and my admiration for you continues to grow every time I use popmute.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.