How to match bit rate of original file for game?

Thanks, Steve.

So this lets us keep the uppermost list at 14 items, but removes WAV 32-bit float as an explicit choice.

Does your “Other WAV” include WAVEX?

It may be better to say “requires LAME” in the Format Options pane, and only when LAME has not been detected.

The main problem with this may be that “Other built-in formats” looks from its position like it will be compressed formats whereas technically it will be mostly uncompressed. I think it should be above AIFF, whatever we call it. I can’t see many folk guessing RF64 will be in it as your suggestion stands now.

Otherwise I think this is the best alternative so far to my suggestion.

I could instead add just these two to the list as currently shipped, for a total of 16 items:

RF/WAVE 64 (for > 4 GB)
WAV/WAVEX *-Law/ADPCM

Though I think less good than separating *-Law and ADPCM.

Gale

I did, but your reply made me think, why not set the sample rate for exporting in the export dialog rather than always using the project rate?

Because you would have to run the sample rate conversion routine every time you save?

Only if the sample rate selected for exporting is different from the sample rate of the tracks being exported, which is the same as now.

It took me a lot of negotiating with Leland to get the 32-bit float WAV included in the top-level menu - and I would be extremely loath to lose it from there :frowning:

Peter

I appreciate your point waxcylinder, but I don’t think that we have 32-bit float WAV, and u-law WAV, and A-law WAV, and 24-bit WAV (the default for most high-end audio hardware, and for ProTools). and 8-bit PCM (widely used in old games), and ADPCM WAV … all as top level menu. even though there are reasonably strong arguments for all of them. I think that 16-bit WAV has to be a top level menu item/ My proposal makes all other WAV formats “top-level”. Yes it’s a compromise, but I think a better compromise than burying so many of the “other” WAV formats as deeply as we currently do.

Yes, that last sentence is the problem we’re trying to address.

I think Peter’s idea falls down on the problem of not listing all the major FFmpeg exports.

I assume the rationale for 32-bit float WAV is for export to Click Repair or to other DAW’s for processing?

We can always add 32-bit float WAV to Steve’s idea, but then that is only one less item than the minimum in my plan, which gets RF64 (also important) and many of the other important uncompressed as explicit top level items.

We could include 8-bit PCM in one item that also had ADPCM and -Law if we had a top level item such as "WAV 4-bit/8-bit" but that is probably less clear. Given we are only talking about the difference between 14, 15 or 16 items, there may be a case for more items and more specificity in the top level.

Gale

No that’s just a spin-off - the rationale is to make a 32-bit WAV export of a raw capture before any processing as the ultimate backup. It’s what we recommend doing in the workflows.

Peter.

Here’s a user that would have benefited: How do you export at lower sample rate?

Even if sample rates of exports were set in the export dialogue, I still think default behaviour should be as now that the rate of an empty project changes if necessary to the rate of an imported file. I do think there could be a preference to turn that behaviour off.

If sample rates of exports were set in the export dialogue, would that export rate be set to the last used rate, or would it be tied to the active project rate? The latter would be akin to what happens now with no such setting.

Sometime, a sample rate choice will have to be added to Chain exports because the feature is too clunky without that. I guess that will be the time to consider if we want the main export dialogue to have a sample rate choice. In favour, those who have used other audio software probably look in the export dialogue for sample rate and wonder what determines the rate. Against, it adds extra complication to the standard export dialogue.

On present thoughts I would be mildly in favour of choosing export sample rate in the export dialogue.

Gale