How To Create a Chapter Mark

I successfully created an Audacity project from an analog audio source and exported to a WAV file and then, using s/w other than Audacity (Roxio or AShampoo), created a CD which plays in a CD player.

My question is: how can I put chapter marks in the sound file at desired spots in the sound file, so the CD player goes to the next chapter when I press the “next chapter” button.

Can I do this in Audacity, or do I have to use some other s/w to edit the WAV file before burning the WAV file to CD?

I am using Audacity 3.4.2.
Thank you.

That’s a feature of your CD burning software.

If you make separate files they should normally each get their own track number.

Or you can make a Cue Sheet to put the markers wherever you want, and that includes “one big” WAV file with no gaps.

I use Windows Notepad to make the cue sheet, and I start with a known good one and edit it, making sure it’s saved with a .CUE filename.

I don’t know if all burning applications support cue sheets. I use ImgBurn. (Watch out for the adds on the ImgBurn website and make sure you’re downloading the right thing!)

–That’s a feature of your CD burning software.
Ok, I understand. It’s too bad that the chapter marks can’t be specified in Audacity because having to create a .CUE file adds two steps, and it means the chapter marks have to be tested after the CD is burned.

I currently use Roxio and a free version of AShampoo. If neither of them supports .CUE files, I will try ImgBurn. Thanks for the info!

“I use Windows Notepad to make the cue sheet, and I start with a known good one and edit it, making sure it’s saved with a .CUE filename.”

Hi, Could you send me a sample cue sheet with at least two entries so I have an example of a good one? If you can’t attach a file to a message here, could you send it by email–I’ll send you my email address.

Thank you!

Hi DVDDoug,
I found an example of a .CUE file on Wikipedia so am retracting my request for a sample file from you. I am having a problem–am using AShampoo to burn a CD and AShampoo is giving an unclear error message that doesn’t specify what the problem is. I wrote AShampoo for help in deciphering the error message. If I can’t make it work, I’ll try your suggestion of ImgBurn. So for now I’m retracting my request for your help. I’ll let you know if I get it working before Audacity deletes this thread in 9 days.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.