How do I separate multiple recordings on a single track

Hi

For a research project I have recorded telephone conversations between family members. However, somehow two individual conversations were recorded over the top of one another in an Audacity file. Thus, when I listen to the recording, I hear two different conversations at once. The problem is, they are all recorded as though they were a single conversation on a single track. Is there any way I can separate the two conversations from the single track and if so how?

Many thanks

Is the show stereo with one conversation on the left and one on the right?

If the show is one single mono sound file with both conversations, then no. You’re stuck.

somehow two individual conversations were recorded over the top of one another in an Audacity file.

I wonder about that. I would have to work pretty hard to get a recording like that. Audacity starts a whole new recording every time you press Record. Even Append Recording produces two separate shows one after the other.

Do you have any idea how that happened? It would be good to know so, like, you don’t do that again…

I can think of a list of mistakes that could give you that.

Koz

Thanks for your reply.

Yes unfortunately it is one single mono sound file with both conversations on it.

So there’s nothing I can do.

It’s the only recording out of 35 that was like that. Grrrr.

It’s the only recording out of 35 that was like that.

Say somebody made a mono recording of a voice. Press Stop.
Now make another recording without checking if Audacity was empty. Audacity would have cheerfully made a second separate track underneath the first. Again, without checking, the operator exports the work as a high quality WAV file. Audacity would have smashed the two tracks together into one mixed mono track.

But wait! There’s more!

Also without checking, the operator did not Save the Audacity Project which would have preserved the two individual tracks.

Then close Audacity which kills UNDO.

So yes, you could do that just by not paying attention in all the right places.

Koz

Audacity doesn’t know what a voice is unlike you and me. All it sees is a collection of bits and blue waves. Can you turn the sound off and tell who is speaking just by looking at the blue waves? Under certain highly restricted circumstances you can partially split parts of a show, but you don’t have any of those circumstances.

Koz

Yes, but it does warn “Your tracks will be mixed down to a single mono channel in the exported file”.

Then you should like my idea that Audacity has a way to always reopen with the audio it closed with.

Gale