How do I get the bass down from this live track?

I downloaded the whole set from Jimi Hendrix’s Winterland Reels on the Crosstown Torrents and I noticed that the actual recording’s bass is higher than I really want.

How do I get these bass levels down?

Here’s a link to the track in question: http://www.mediafire.com/?azqjyjio43z

*Am I the only one who thinks the bass is a little excessive?

Otherwise, the track is awesome. I just wanna know how to get the bass down cause alot of the other tracks in the Winterland set feature the exact same problem. They were apparently remastered, and sound awesome, just, I can’t stand the bass honestly.

I downloaded the tune to understand what you were referring to. First of all, I don’t know if this excessive bass was intended by the artist or whether there were other factors, such as microphone placement, resonance, etc, but let’s just ignore how it happened and focus how you can use Audacity to reduce the bass according to your own taste.

I will share my approach to the problem, understanding others may do it differently.

First I selected a portion of the tune where the bass was noticeable, between 57 and 60 seconds from the start. Next, under “Analyze” I chose “Plot Spectrum” using the algorithm: “Spectrum”, function: “Rectangular Window”, size: “4096 Hz”, and Axis: “Log Frequency”. Moving the cursor across the plot, it showed a maximum peak at 107 Hz, which I believe was the offending frequency. To confirm this I tried to match the frequency using the tone generator function, but to my ear the match frequency sounded closer to 100 Hz.

Next, under Effect, I chose Filter > Equalization, then selected “Graphic Eq”. To clear any other existing equalizations, for select curve, I chose “Custom” then “Flat”. Next, I pulled down the 100 Hz slider to its minimum and the “Preview” to check how effective the equalization was to the selected music. The “Length of Filter” slider lets you control the strength of the filter. I selected the maximum setting, but this is where you can experiment to get the effect you want. When you are satisfied with the settings, go back and select the entire track the return to the equalization filter and select “OK” to apply the equalization to the entire track.

I did find this technique to be effective, but equalization is often a matter of individual taste.

Hmm well um… what is the “Graphic EQ” cause I only have the Classic EQ plugin as well as other plugins though I can’t find a Graphic EQ at all.

Though, since I’m on the EQ subject, I really do despise Audacity’s EQ plugin. They should at least make a decent one like Gold Wave does.

I should have mentioned that I am using Version 1.3.6.

Nevermind! You happen to have the Beta version. This is so cool (just downloaded it hehe).

I worked with the bass method you just described. When I took it the whole bass out, it sounded like it was missing a bit of something, so I’m currently experimented on the best of both worlds. Cause having a completely faded out bass does lower Billy Cox’s bass in the song, though it takes out the frequencies of Mitchell’s bass drum a bit.

Thing is man, I liked the track in Audacity though when I got rid of the bass and exported it to 320 kbps as .mp3, it sounded alot softer and weaker…

Here’s the link to the mp3 I exported:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=092af2613dd9eed891b20cc0d07ba4d2178ffe11b99bb521

And here’s a picture of my Audacity settings:
http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=gzgjrzjuizd&thumb=4

^ could it be the volume setting?

Anyone wanna help me out on this one?

Confused on how much bass I should really take away yet keep cause I feel that taking away the frequency completely would debilitate the sound yet, maybe my settings are quieting the track itself.

*See my Audacity picture in the message above ^

Your screen capture doesn’t reveal anything.

By reducing the offending bass, you have reduced a significant contribution to the apparent loudness of the track, thus it might seem that the volume is reduced. You could easily increase the volume by using the amplify effect. Experiment, try to avoid clipping, and trust your ears.

If I do amplify, how do I really avoid clipping?

Do I simply amplify and use the de-clip feature?

By default the Amplify effect will not allow you to amplify so much that it causes clipping.
(as long as you do not tick the “Allow Clipping” box in the Amplify tool)

Generally it is best to always leave a little “headroom” (keep the peaks a little below the maximum).