how can I find out if a music's volume is high or low?

Hi all,

I am very new to Audacity tool. I have just used Audacity 2.2.2. for a week.

When I import a music (e.g. mp3) into GoldWave,
the waveform can immediately tell the user if the music’s volume is high or low by its waveform.
Are there any functions in Audacity that can help me find out if a music’s volume is high or low?

Please help me if you could!

Thank you!

Kitty

If you want to see a dB scale in Audacity, switch to the “Waveform dB” view. See: Audio Track Dropdown Menu - Audacity Manual

“Loudness” is complicated but if you just want to find the highest peak, run the Amplify effect -

Audacity has already scanned your file and Amplify will default to whatever up or down change is needed for 0dB peaks. For example, if Amplify defaults to +3dB your current peak is -3dB. If Amplify defaults to -3dB your current peak is +3dB. If it defaults to 0dB your peaks are already at 0dB and by-default it won’t apply any change.

Assuming you just what to check, you can cancel the effect after checking.

\

MP3 can go over 0dB, and MP3 compression slightly-changes the wave shape making some peaks higher and some peaks lower. If you normalize for 0dB peaks and then export to MP3, the MP3 will often go over 0dB. For the same reason, many commercial MP3s or MP3s you’ve ripped yourself from CD will go over 0dB.