Holding a tone in Audacity

Hi all,

I’m very new to audio editing. anyways, I have just a short tone. I realize that the higher pitch I change the tone, the shorter it gets. How do I hold the tone longer? When I use repeater, I keep getting clicks.

To avoid clicks when using repeat you should trim the sample so it begins and ends at zero-crossing points,
and the beginning and end of the repeated sample are complimentary: if waveform is falling at end it should be rising at start, or vice versa.

[You could extend a sample somewhat (say 50%) by using “Change Tempo without Changing Pitch” to extend the duration of a sound.
In Audacity 1.3 click on “Effects”, “Pitch and Tempo”, “Change Tempo…”]

again, pardon my noob questions.

Is there any easy way to trim the signal to zero crossing? I tried changning the tempo, but it didn’t make much of a difference, if anything at all. The tone I am trying to lengthen is pretty short and the sound wave doesn’t have a very large amplitude to be able to see easily on where the zero crossing is.

If you put the curser over zero on the vertical the scale on the left it turns into a magnifying glass with a "+"in it,
then left mouse click (repeatedly) to magnify the waveform, right mouse click to reverse maginfication.
This magnification will allow you to see the zero crossing points of the quietest audio.
magnify.png
In Audacity 1.3 there is permanent pair of these magnifying glasses “+” & “-” on the top right,
they are used to magnify the (horizontal) time axis.

Thank you for your help!

I finally managed to extend the tone to what I want. But another minor issue arises. The voice tone sounds more like a “beep”. How do I make the tone sound more like someone’s voice holding a note?

Apparently no sustain effect in Audacity,
but there are echo, delay, and compression which may give you the effect you require.