High and long HD usage on exit.

Hello,
I have a problem with audacity version 2.2.2 and I had the same problem with previous version (don’t remember which one).
The thing is that on exit when I don’t save the project Audacity HD usage goes up to 100% I’m assuming it deletes the temp files, but why doe it have to use 100% of my HD and why it takes couple minutes to clear a few couple minutes tracks? It happens every time, and its getting more annoying every time to wait couple minutes until my PC comes back to full functionality. I’m using Windows 10 Creators update and have reinstalled the Windows completely lately and that didn’t help. Oh, and Task Manager doesn’t show that it is Audacity uses it (application is closed or just about to close when that happens), but its happening to me only with audacity and always on exit without saving (I’m using SSD if that matters).

Anyone has experienced same problem? Would really appreciate the help.

Thank you.

Audacity HD usage goes up to 100%

Would you prefer that it only use 10%? Then it would take 10 times as long! :wink:

…I don’t know what Audacity is doing when you shut it down.

Audacity does a bit of house keeping when it shuts down (deletes the old Undo History data, removes the lock file, releases the RAM it was using…), but with a SSD that should all be extremely quick (just a few seconds), and no noticeable increase in CPU.

Perhaps you have a security application verifying the process - after a long session or a large project, Audacity could be cleaning tens of thousands of old files - if a security app is checking each one then that could create a huge load.

It happens every time, and its getting more annoying every time to wait couple minutes until my PC comes back to full functionality

That’s so not normal.

Do you use cloud storage? Google Drive? What else do you have off-machine? Do you leave any comm apps running in the background? What do you use that may have survived a re-install?

I had a similar odd activity which I tracked down to one of the Firefox Associated Services suddenly ballooning to many times its size.

It’s a little frightening the extra activity doesn’t appear on your diagnostics. Do computers still have drive lights? What happens to yours during this activity? Is it a convenient software indicator, or an actual LED that flashes?

You could try isolation. Shut down WiFi if any. Shift-Shutdown the machine (clean shutdown), disconnect the network cable and turn it all back on. Still happen? Keep track of what complains.

Can you make it worse or change it? The ability to make it worse can tell us a lot even if it doesn’t do you any obvious good.

Have you done that serious virus scan where you can’t use the machine for several hours?

Koz

People poke fun at me for this, but you can get into trouble like that if you’re running out of drive space. Even SSDs do that, it could be said more often since they tend to be smaller.

My money is on Google Drive. Network traffic can go nuts with one of those. My UP network speed is terrible. Yours might be, too.

Koz

Thank you guys for your replies.

I have unplugged my internet connection, rebooted, turned off my startup apps, turned off my antivirus and tried it again - no change.
I m not using any cloud services, I usually have some apps in the background, but closing them didn’t change anything. I see in the Task manager 100% usage, HD led is on during that time (not flashing, but its a still light), but I can see that everything slows down when I try to do anything. I’m scanning my system with few AVs every 2-3 months, and I had one recently, nothing found. I can see though, that it get worse with larger files. If I put a mp4 file (2 hour movie) then it can last longer. Few MB mp3 still can make it happen, but its much faster, so bigger file = more time it takes to clear up.
I was thinking that maybe there is a secure delete option in Audacity or something, but didn’t found anything like that.

secure delete option

I don’t think Audacity has ever had a layered delete or scrambled delete or any of those other variations.

not flashing, but its a still light

Not flashing…

That’s unusual.

You have an SSD, so there are special rules. I’ve never seen an SSD fail, so I don’t know what it looks like when one does.

I’m out. You stumped the band.

Congratulations!

Koz

I meant that its like not indicating a standard use and lights up every now and then very quickly, but its on with steady red light in that time :slight_smile:

No. Just regular delete.

100% SSD use, CPU use, or both?

In the “Processes” tab, what processes are showing more than 0%?

Do you have a regular spinning disk hdd as well as the SSD?
How much free space on the SSD?
What happens if you are working on a project that is saved on the hdd - do you still see 100% disk use, and if so, which disk?

A flashing drive light is expected as the drive and machine negotiate where to put things. I don’t know about that behavior with an SSD. They don’t have moving arms and spinning metal platters. Their storage is a cousin to the actual RAM in the machine. Solid state and fast as can be. There is a new Mac that intentionally blurs the distinction between them to speed up performance.

But that’s not what you have.

If you do have a spinning metal drive in addition to the SSD, then yes. All the old rules come back. When was the last time you defragmented, how full is it, etc? The video people have a problem where a sloppy drive anywhere in the system will seriously affect performance. Every time the machine steps on that one drive, even if it’s not needed for the show, it steps into molasses.

How full is everything!!? We never got a replay to that.

Koz

@steve:
Its just a SSD use. I have a standard HDD as well (audacity is installed on a SSD). I get 100% usage on a SSD only during that time, HDD is not used then (I’m not suing it to save the projects or anything, mostly I just use audacity to sync stuff, and I don’t need to save anything so I’m closing without saving). CPU is at about 10% max, nothing unusual. And since Audacity was closed there when I sort by the disk usage in the Task Manager I see nothing, everything at 0,1 % tops, but on the performance tab I see 100% on the SSD. I have about 20 GB free on the system partition and 94 GB on another SSD partition (yes, I know, I need to add more space on the system partition), right now system uses about 25 GB, so 20 GB free doesn’t seem so bad yet (no system restore etc)…

Oh, and I have noticed then I had multiple files opened ones that during that time the space is freeing up on the partition where audacity temp files are stored, so it looks like audacity is clearing up its temp files very slowly…

I don’t remember actually when was the last time I have defragmented the HDD, about 2-3 months ago probably, but its not using it anyway.
So, about my SSD: 45 GB partition - 20 free and 178 GB partition with 94 GB free. HDD: 5,42 TB partition with 1,03 TB free (I never delete anything ;p).

Ok, changed the temp directory path so it would point to HDD instead of the SSD and that actually helped, but the loading time of the files from the HDD increased obviously. Tried also use other (bigger) SSD partition to store the temp files, but it looks like it doesn’t like it as well (100% usage).

Did that cure the 100% use issue?

to be expected.

So not a space issue, or not only a space issue.

Just a thought - do you have a file browser window open? If so, close all file browser windows, and run a test with the Audacity data on the large SSD partition.
(Hint: When a project has been saved, Audacity uses the project “_data” folder rather than the “temp” folder)

Do you know what the make / model of your SSD is? Some SSD manufacturers provide diagnostic programs for testing their drives (specifically for “SMART” testing). The manufacturer’s diagnostic programs are designed specifically for their brand of drives.

Yes, but I would rather use SSD for speed.

Yep, tried that. I did my tests after closing everything in the background (except the AV - closed it twice and didn’t helped same goes for the internet connection).

I have a Patriot Blast 240 GB. Didn’t run the official software to check SMART status, but Speecy and Ashampoo WinOptimizer shows that everything is ok.

I don’t remember actually when was the last time I have defragmented the HDD, about 2-3 months ago probably, but its not using it anyway.

So, about my SSD: 45 GB partition - 20 free…

It’s possible to be too good at this. A vast majority of our users would have zero idea what a partition is much less how to create and use one. So you are a celebrity unicorn. One disadvantage of that status is that Audacity is unlikely to have been checked on a machine like yours before it was released—also keeping in mind release happens on the major operating systems by three guys working in a camper on beach in Land’s End.

Audacity is not a massive corporation.

So we may never find this particular problem without analyzing a machine exactly like yours and under the same conditions.

Koz

I think it would be worth running something that specifically tests SSD health. I’ve not found a program on the Patriot website, but “Crystal Disk Info” is free and has good reviews (CrystalDiskInfo - Crystal Dew World [en])

Checked that and it looks like the SSD is still in good condition :slight_smile:

Wow, didn’t’ release that. Thank you very much for what you guys doing. Its not a major bug or anything so I guess i"m gonna leave it be. I probably won’t change the temp path to point to somewhere on the HDD, because it would take even more time using the HDD than this exit thing.

Ok, since no one else is experiencing anything like that then I guess I won’t bother you again. Thank you for your help. If somehow I will find a solution I will let you know. Thanks.

Another thing that comes to mind: Ensure that TRIM is enabled for your SSD (if supported).
I think Windows 10 also has an optimization tool for SSDs (a bit like “defrag” but for SSDs - Don’t use defrag, that’s for spinny disks only). It could be worth Googling that and running it.

Yes, TRIM is enabled and defrag tool is setup properly for SSD. I did enable/disable most features that would keep the SSD alive for as long as it can (except keeping everything in RAM until the shutdown, that cost me some files once cause of short power outages). Its been over 2 years since I bought it and the SMART shows that there is 98% life left.