Help on removing "sizzle" sound from file.

I found this site through a Google search trying to solve my problem. I will try to explain the problem to the best of my audio rookie ability. I am in the process of converting engine sound files from one game to another. I have been successful with all but one file. The attached file named badwin_med_off.wav is my problem file. If you listen to it, you will hear what I am calling the sizzle sound. I need the sound effect of an engine coming down off of the rpm scale, but the sizzle sound is causing static. I would like to go one step further and explain that somehow in the game, the files will speed up with either the faster or slower that you are going. So when the game calls for this file to be played, its in a slower speed than the normal playback speed causing the hiss sound to be worse.

I really hope I’m making sense here. but in trying to find the bad file, I had been just replacing the files with other ones that were close and I can use the other attached filed named goodwin_med_off.wav but if you listen to it, the file doesn’t have the same pitch or the “letting off the gas” sound. But with this file the static problem is gone. Now with all this said, I dont have the Audacity program. I have been using WavePad and GoldWave to edit my files. I will get the Audacity program if I need to, but for this one file I was hoping for some help instead of trying to learn a whole new program. Any help or suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Badwin is too loud. The blue waves cannot fill the timeline space top to bottom, and if you look at the green sound meter, it’s smashed all the way to the right and has the red overload indicators lighted.

This has to be reshot. You can’t recover from overload this bad.
Number 2.

The Four Horsemen of Audio Recording (reliable, time-tested ways to kill your show)
– 1. Echoes and room reverberation (Don’t record the show in your mum’s kitchen.)
– 2. Overload and Clipping (Sound that’s recorded too loud is permanently trashed.)
– 3. Compression Damage (Never do production in MP3.)
– 4. Background Sound (Don’t leave the TV on in the next room.)

I don’t even need to listen to it - as Koz said, Badwin is much too loud and the waveform is smashed against the top and bottom of the track - that’s what we call “clipping”. The tops and bottoms of the waveform have been “clipped” (cut off) and you can’t recreate missing peaks and troughs when it is chopped off this severely.

Me being a hacker at best, here’s what I did do to at least correct the static sound I was getting when this file ran, I went ahead and got the Audacity program and after trying a few of the different effects I came across the bass/treble setting, I removed some of the treble and this in turn took away some of the hiss, and in turn removed my static issue. I’m sure this is not the proper way of doing things, but I did achieve the results I was looking for. And I want to add I have now got a pretty cool new program to experiment with to boot.

You got lucky that you were operating on a clip that’s not recognizable by anybody but a motor jockey. That repair would be a lot less successful on a music or voice track.

Motor sounds are rough to do. They can get loud enough to overload microphones and most sound mixers, processors, and recorders. I saw a national car race that was so loud they had to stop using the cameras on the track because the intense volume was screwing up the pictures.

Koz