HELP HOW TO RECOVER AN AUP PROJECT deleted by accident? [SOLVED]

Hello,
I am not sure where to post this question
I am using the latest version of Audacity,yesterday I had recorded a large file and had saved it as an Aup project,

Today I needed to edit it and i tried to open it as usual, after starting Audacity, but instead of Left- clicking as usual, by accident I Right-clicked the name of the file that I wanted to open in Audacity and it just disappeared

I did a search and I found it together with its folder with same name, in My Documents, but when I open it , it says It Cannot Be found or It Cannot load

How do I recover it and how do I open it? I cannot understand what happened and why I cannot open, it
Any input is so much appreciated, thank you
Ann

Wanted to post an update on this problem, I finally was able to open this file that I was not able to open, but when I open it,yes… the whole length of the recording is still there (55 mins) but the wave is flat and kind of mute… I get the error message that “some segments of this file may be lost, due to Data Block and that I have to recover it manually”

But I do not know how???

Then I tried to choose the option of IMPORTING the single audio files composing the whole recording file, , and I can do that, by selecting the single 2 mins segment saved in the 5 folders, which are saved into the big folder under the same name I saved it with, (its all still there) and I can open them that way, but I can only import one segment per time and each segment is about 2 or 3 mins long, and all the segments composing the whole recording …are still there, they are not lost,

but they are not in chronological or logical …order, and they are something like 100 of them, of 2 mins long, and so even if I could open them , then copy each one of them and paste them in the same track, to recompose the recording, they are not in chronological order, so I do not know how to put them in order, its a mess, but the good news is …the file is not lost and need to find a way how to recover it and to open it

I remember the older version of Audacity, offered the option of “Do you want to recover the previous file?” and it would automatically open it and let me recover it, I cannot find that option in the new version, why was that taken away? It was so useful!
Please, can you help me to recover the file, I have a dead line, that would be great, thank you so much
Ann

The current version also has that option, but only if Audacity can find the parts that need to be recovered. In this case it appears that Audacity cannot find the data, so can’t recover the project.

Don’t mess with the contents of the data folder. As you noticed, the data files are named randomly, so it’s unlikely that you will be able to manually reconstruct the file.

Do you know how to create a ZIP archive? If so, make a ZIP archive containing the AUP file and the _data folder (including all of it’s contents), and upload it somewhere (such as Google Drive, dropbox or SendSpace.com) and post the link with your reply. I’ll download it and see if I’m able to work out what’s wrong with it.

Hi Steve,
Oh you are a star, thank you so much, for offering to help, no I do not know, but I will Google on how to make a Zip archive and see if I can create one for you and upload it on Dropbox, Do I need to download a special software to create this Zip Archive, if so, if you can suggest a reliable and safe site, from where I can do it from, that would be great, then I ll look on Google on the steps to take, thank you so much

PS Oh if this would help…:, the reason my file got messed up, is ONLY because I right-clicked on the file name to open it, rather than…normally left clicking it, and immediately,it would not open anymore :frowning:

No. Windows has that ability built in. See “To zip (compress) a file or folder” here:

Hi Steve
Sorry for the gap… it was not easy:-) to figure all out. ok so I am not sure I did it in the right way, I had 7-zip and I used it to create a zip file from the recording, I followed their instructions on their website: I clicked on ADD file and the 7-zip just compressed it automatically, but when I click on play …on the Dropbox file, it sounds like a lot of distortion, :slight_smile:
Can you let me know, if it was not compressed in the right way??, I will try from another computer with a different Zip program,

Ok so here is the url to drop box, if you cannot download it, then let me know, I think there is another link to go if you want to download, i hope
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zdlin7ux4hbkgox/E.7z?dl=0

The recording is about 55 mins long or so, I am also attaching some screen shots to show you first, how the recording saved on my pc, looks like …now…when I open it on Audacity

then also to show you how the single files, each composing the whole 55 mins recording, appear in the folders, and these short file pieces when opened, they look fine and the sound is still there and they sound fine
So the number I (ONE) pic, its the way the file looks like when opened
Number II is of the 7 folders contained in the main folder with same name of file (Cris)
Pic number III shows the way it looks like, when I open any of the 7 folders included in the main folder: all the many (many…) single AUP 2 mins short files with the date of when each was created, but the date as said, does not show in chronological order, if it were, I would be able to …reconstruct it
Each of the 7 folders content, when opened, looks the same,

If the Zip File is not right, let me know, will try again
Thank you so much
Ann
AUDACITY PROJECT   I I I.jpg
AUDACITY PROJECT II.jpg
AUDACITY PROJECT.jpg

It’s absolutely fine. Well done :slight_smile: And good news, your project can be recovered.

The problem is with the “Cris_data” folder.
What you should have, is a file / folder structure like this:

Cris.aup (file)

Cris_data
> e08
> > d00
> > d01
> > d02
> > d03
> > d04
> > d05
> > d06
> > d07
> > d08

What you have actually got is:

Cris.aup (file)

Cris_data
> Cris_data
> > e08
> > d00
> > > d01
> > > d02
> > > d03
> > > d04
> > > d05
> > > d06
> > > d07
> > > d08

To fix the problem you will need to carefully make a couple of small changes. You need to get this exactly right, so double check each step as you go.

Step 1
Rename the top level folder from “Cris_data” to “Cris-Project” (any name will actually do, but good to use a descriptive name).
You should now have:

Cris.aup (file)

Cris-Project
> Cris_data
> > e08
> > d00
> > > d01
> > > d02
> > > d03
> > > d04
> > > d05
> > > d06
> > > d07
> > > d08

Step 2
Move the “Cris.aup” file into the “Cris-Project” folder.
You should now have:

Cris-Project
> Cris.aup (file)
> Cris_data
> > e08
> > d00
> > > d01
> > > d02
> > > d03
> > > d04
> > > d05
> > > d06
> > > d07
> > > d08

And that’s it, fixed!

You should now be able to open the project with Audacity. When you do, you will see a warning saying that it “found 1 orphan block file(s)”. Ensure that the first option is selected (“Continue without deleting”) and click the OK button.

Hi Steve,
wanted to thank you so much for your help
Well, actually it was not that easy…for me to figure it out, because it seems I had made a real mess LOL…in order not to lose the file, after I could not open it, I realized I had created a lot of duplicates of the e08 folder, and also of the Data folder, so finally I was able to resolve it only on the flash drive where I had copied the whole thing… but on the computer I was not able to resolve it, I think I still do not quite well how to use Windows 10, cuz files get deleted on their own…it seems…so I just deleted everything on the PC and transferred the new file from the flash drive into the PC, and I finally was able to open it,…so thank you so much, I am so happy!!!
Ann

Hello Steve!

I’m not sure if you can see this, but is there any way you could look at my project and help figure out what went wrong? I had a very similar problem to the writer above and now my audacity project has flat audio files. I still have all of the data saved, though.

Please let me know if you can help, I’m rather desperate.

Thank you!!

Please start a new topic (go here and click the “New Topic” button)

Give as much information as possible about what you were doing, what happened, and what the current situation is.
Please include a description of the project - how many tracks, how long the tracks, whether they are imported files or recorded…
Anything else that may be relevant.

Got it, I posted on the forum. Am waiting for the post to be approved.

Thank you, Steve!

It has just been approved.

I’ll close this topic now as the original poster’s issue has been solved.