HELP: Continuous Crashes and Missing Sound Data

Hi, I’ve been using Audacity to record and edit a podcast for the last 3 years. Because of this, I have hundreds of .aup files and their linked _data folders. Recently, my Windows 8.1 computer crashed and I needed to do a factory reset. I’ve done that, re-installed Audacity, re-downloaded all of my files off of cloud storage and began to record my podcast again. However, I’m having two major issues that has prevented me from editing.

(1) Audacity crashes almost immediately upon opening any .aup file and performing any task, including scrolling or zooming. Typically, I record a raw version of the podcast into a new .aup project via Stereo mix, then open an old project with our intro music, etc., paste the new track in and then save it as a second new project, which I export to mp3. However, as soon as I open any sort of old project, Audacity crashes.

(2) Previously saved .aup projects have missing sound waves, making tracks show up as blank, flat lines. When I am able to open old projects and view them briefly before Audacity crashes, there’s sound missing. It has the appearance of going into Amplify and lowering amplification all the way down to no sound. So even if Audacity didn’t crash every time I open it, I wouldn’t be able to access sound files saved within projects.

I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing Audacity several times, both 2.1.2 and 2.1.1, and the issue happens with both versions. I’m running Windows 8.1.

Help? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reinstall 2.1.2 but enable the “Reset Preferences” box half way through installation. Complete the installation. On launching Audacity, a dialogue will appear where you can confirm if you want to reset preferences just this once, or not.

Does Audacity crash if you open an AUP file without recording first?

If Audacity offers a debug zip file when it crashes, please attach the ZIP. See Audacity Manual.

Please see here for how to attach files: https://forum.audacityteam.org/t/how-to-attach-files-to-forum-posts/24026/1

That could even be the cause of (1). Where exactly are you saving AUP files to and opening them from?

Have you done a S.M.A.R.T. drive check ?

Gale