Headphone/Speaker conflict

All was good until I connected a blue tooth speaker. When it is switched on, my sound board changes from speaker to headphone and my Audacity recording audio drops out completely.

Are there settings in Audacity to fix this?

I want to record and use my blue tooth speakers at the same time.

What are you recording?

If you are recording what’s coming into your soundcard (microphone, line-in, etc.), that should still work with the Bluetooth speakers plugged-in.

If you are recording streaming audio (WASAPI loopback, Stereo Mix, etc.) you are recording what’s coming out of your soundcard and that might not work with Bluetooth.

Audacity recording audio drops out completely.

That’s a contradiction if you’re recording a simple microphone or other personal performance.

If you’re recording YouTube sound or other on-line content, then yes this could use some work. Recording on-line content means you have to “fold back” the playback audio into the record side so Audacity can grab it, so you have a complex sound pathway. When you installed the bluetooth speakers, you bollixed up the foldback pathway.

I don’t know how to unbollix it, but that’s what happened. In my opinion, this is a Windows problem, Audacity just records what it’s given.

Koz

It is not a microphone issue but there may be situations where I want that.

When I switch off the Blue Tooth speaker, the system automatically switches back and Audacity is recording. I figured that it is a windows problem but maybe there is a work around here in Audacity since it has settings to select inputs and outputs

I am also asking this in the Microsoft forum.

What are you recording?

When I switch off the Blue Tooth speaker, the system automatically switches back and Audacity is recording.

Right. So you need to tell whatever foldback services you’re using to get the sound from the BlueTooth system and not the regular soundcard.

If your BlueTooth drivers don’t allow that, it’s full stop. You graduated from Sound System to Network Connections and Management. Take a dog with you. You never know what you’re going to run into down there.

It may be worth a trip to the speaker forum if they have one, or use that as the Google Search Term. If they’re even slightly popular, somebody must have run into the same problem.

Oh, and if you do resolve this, post back. This may look like a Help Desk, but it’s actually a forum, Users Helping Each Other.

Koz