Having Troubles Recording Audio

Hello. I’m trying to use Audacity to record some quick audio from YouTube for a presentation. I’ve went through the tutorial on the Audacity Wiki and have done everything up to the stereo mix part. However, there’s 4 drop down menus on my Audacity (2.0.2 version), and I’m not too sure what to use. Here’s the options I have…

Dropdown menu #1:
Windows DirectSound
MME

Dropdown menu #2:
Primary sound driver
Speakers (3-C Media USB Headphone Set)
Speakers (RealteK High Defintion Audio)
Realtek Digital Output (Optical)
Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Dropdown menu #3:
Primary Sound Capture Driver
Stereo Mix (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Microphone (3-C Media USB Headphone Set)

Dropdown menu #4:
1 (Mono) Input Channels
2 (Stereo) Input Channels

Please advise. Thank you in advance.

I missed the part where you tell us which Windows you have. That’s important because Self Recording is much easier in earlier Windows versions than it is in later ones. Also, it’s good to hold the concept that self recording is not a guaranteed service like listening to YouTube and lighting up your screen. Some later Windows installs don’t self record at all and that’s normal for them.

http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/tutorial_recording_audio_playing_on_the_computer.html

Koz

Ah, my apologies, I’m using Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1.

You want to choose stereo mix to record computer playback. Do you have the input and output volume turned up?

Are you playing the YouTube audio through the Speakers (RealteK High Definition Audio) device? You can’t use Realtek stereo mix to record from the USB speakers - that’s a different playback device.

Gale