Having problems recording suddenly

The weirdest thing happened today. I’m a life coach in supevision and have been been using Audacity to record phone calls (with permission, of course) with no problems for well over a month…

For some reason, today, in three separate instances, Audacity recorded only my voice and not the other person’s. All was working just fine last week so I haven’t a clue what’s changed.

The waveform also looked very different. It’s close to flat and just seemed to be picking up some sound on my end.

Later on, while trying to test it out, I discovered it’s not picking up any sound now at all…the waveform is totally flat.

The Meter Toolbar (that shows green and red volume levels) is no longer even visible when I’m trying to record.

Also, I’m concerned that I might have disabled something important on the Mixer Toolbar…yikes!?! Something about “VU” but I didn’t catch the instructions on how to enable it again…?

When I play back old recordings to see if I can visually spot anything different, I notice that the waveforms on some of them seem to be very short and tightly scrunched looking…??

Would really appreciate some help as I really struggle with trying to troubleshoot the technical stuff… :confused:

Thanks very much!

Rita

<<<The weirdest thing happened today. I’m a life coach in supevision and have been been using Audacity to record phone calls (with permission, of course) with no problems for well over a month…>>>

Oh, maaaaaan. I was going to ask you how you did that because that’s extraordinarily difficult to do. The rest of the question posted, of course, turns out to be you don’t know how you did it, either and now you can’t. The telephone gods caught up with you.

Let’s start with the physical. How did you connect the phone, and to what kind of computer?

Koz