FRUSTRATED!!!

I installed on Windows XP. My first recording went well no problems except the usual trial and error. Since then when I record, edit, divide tracks and download to Windows Media Play it not only doesn’t recognize the track time but the Aduacity program freezes up. I am following the directions as follows:
DIVIDING YOUR ALBUM INTO TRACKS- 1) SELECT FIT PROJECT IN WINDOW 2) IDENTIFYING SEPARATE AUDIO TRACKS 3) PRESS SKIP TO START 4) SELECT PROJECT, SELECT ADD LABEL AT SELECTION 5) TYPE IN NAME OF FIRST TRACT 6) SELECT SPACE BETWEEN TRACKS 7) LINE WHERE CLICKED 8-10) REPEAT FROM STEP 4.
EXPORTING TRACTS TO SEPARATE FILES- 1) TRACKS DIVIDED INTO LABELS 2) SELECT FILE SELECT EXPORT MULTIPLE 3) SELECT WAV SELECT EXPORT LOCATION (WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER) SELECT USING LABEL/TRACK NAME (SPLIT FILES BASED ON: LABELS…NAME FILES: USING LABEL/TRACK NAME) EXPORT

When I open Windows Media Player and locate the files the track length is blank therefore I can not burn a CD. I go back to Audacity and that is when the entire program freezes up and I have to use Ctrl Alt Delete to get out.

I have tried 5 times and the same things happens. What am I doing wrong??? :astonished:

I know you’re upset, but try not to leave any words out.

<<>>

You installed what on Windows XP? There are multiple Audacity versions.

<<<it not only doesn’t recognize the track time>>>

It may have troubles recognizing the track format. Audacity defaults to 32-bit floating sound. A lot of audio programs have no idea what that is. Reset to 16-bit, 44100 in Preferences.

Also we warn about the usual Windows problems. Defrag your hard drive which should not be over 90% full. Once in a while, run the anti-virus program that requires you to not use the machine while it’s running. The convenient one that runs in the background doesn’t catch everything.

<<>>

Of what? Your new USB turntable? No shortage of problems with those. They can produce sound files that nobody can read.

Koz

I have XP computer. I wanted to record from a cassette player. Down loaded audacity. connected the cable to the headphone socket in the cassette player and to the line in at my computer. Pressed the record and started the play. The cursor moves, and i can hear the song, but when i try to play back the cursor moves, but I don’t hear anything. What am i doing wrong? I checked my preferences and tried sound mapper and the other one, neither would work.
mary victor

You need to use the Windows Mixer (speaker icon near the clock).
Find the Record Settings
Set the Record Input to “Line In” and adjust the level. (sometimes you do this by selecting the input that you want, and sometimes it is my muting the inputs that you don’t want.
If “Line In” is not listed as a Recording input, look in the advanced options to make it visible.

(sorry I can’t be more precise with the detail - there are a lot of variations depending on what sound card you have, but the principle is the same)