Flash drive crash...

Hi everyone,

I didn’t expect to be back so soon but there was a bit of a catastrophe.

I had been using a flash drive to save my project files and the flash drive crashed.

I used a flash drive recovery program to salvage the latest version (I was up to 30 saves), but it only recovered 238mb, whereas the folder reads 732mb.

I guess I’m wondering if there’s anything else I should try before starting again from an earlier save? Thankfully, I have a full version at 24/30 saves, so all is not lost, but it will still take me a long time to get back to where I was.

Thank you for your time!

Winxp, audacity 2.1.3

Attempting to piece back together a broken project can be a very time consuming nightmare with no guarantee of success (and a high chance of failure). If you’ve got a good earlier backup, I’d use that. (At last, someone makes backups :slight_smile:)

At last, someone makes backups

Exactly. We’re going to send you cookies/biscuits. The usual forum posting is from someone whose project crashed and took them all the way back before the first time they turned on the microphone.

Who made the flash drive? I’ve never heard of one crashing.

How do you divide the work? Did you start to run out of room and shifted over to the flash drive?

Just for form, the recommendation is keep the work on your main drive and do periodic backups to the second or flash drive. You can lose either one and only be one or two versions behind, or no versions behind, depending on what failed.

If you lose both, chances are good you got a lot worse problems than flushing a sonata.


Yeah, I think the reason I made that backup at 24 was because of this very possibility. I would have alternated each time if I knew this was going to happen, but c’est la vie.

The flash drive is EMTEC. I think it overheated, I really don’t know. An option comes up when I start Windows to scan and fix, but I think that would probably be more of a log/report of what was lost, as opposed to a restoration. Especially since the recovery program was only able to recover less than half the project.

Yes exactly, I ran out of room on my main drive and switched to the flash, which had a ton of room.

I read tell of an Audacity temporary folder file, that wouldn’t be of help here, would it?

At the end of the day, there are a lot worse problems in life and the world in general to get too upset over this. If it’s a mountain climb, I slipped down a bit, but not all the way back to the base.

There was a fire at Menlo Park one time and they asked Edison that night what he was going to do. “We will start rebuilding in the morning.” Class act!

Not unless you can do million piece jigsaw puzzles where all the pieces look the same.

When you make a new recording, the recording is written to disk in short (usually about 6 seconds) segments called “block files”. For a fresh unedited recording it is “possible” (but not a happy job) to sort the block files by their time stamp (the time that they were written / modified) and then piece the track together (alternating left and right channels for stereo).

Once you start editing, the time stamp of the block files becomes meaningless, because block files are being created, deleted, and modified with every edit and every effect.