I’m having trouble with the Equalisation effect.
When I set up a curve, click “ok” I get the error message:
Couldn’t write to file
“C:UsersUserAppDataRoamingAudacityEQCurves.xml”: Error Opening File
I click ok in that error message box and it appears to do the equalisation all the same. However, it then reverts to the previous curve. If I try to save the new curve I get the same error message and on clicking ok then, get a repeat of the error message then the curve reverts to the previous one.
I’m running Audacity 2.0.6 in WIndows 8. I installed this latest version this morning using the .exe hoping that would sort it out.
However, it was running ok on a previous version (must have been whatever preceded 2.0.6 as I’ve recently gone over to Windows 8 and downloaded it then) bu suddenly started happening. I can’t think I’ve done anything to WIndows file management. On checking File explorer, the path quoted in the error message exists and in the Audacity folder there are 2 relevant files: EQCurves.xml and EQBackup.xml.
Any help you can give would be most gratefully appreciated.
It could be just a random problem that Audacity occasionally has writing XML files to its data folder.
You may want to show hidden files and folders and go to the C:UsersUserAppDataRoamingAudacity folder in File Explorer. While Equalization is open, you could try renaming EQCurves.xml to EQCurves.ml in Explorer, which preserves the file but means Audacity does not see it. Then OK in Equalization. That should write a new EQCurves.xml file.
If you get the same error, try selecting all the curves in the “Manage Curves” dialogue then Export. Change the export directory if necessary.
Then just restart the computer. If necessary you have the curves export you can import back into Equalization.
You should also have an EQBackup.xml file in C:UsersUserAppDataRoamingAudacity that you could import into Audacity if there is a problem with exporting all the curves. The backup should contain all your curves except the last one you added or changed. The file you renamed to “.ml” would be a backup too. You could rename it to e.g. “originalcurves.xml” then import it.
Many thanks for that. Yes, renaming the file worked. It still came up with an error, unable to open the EQBackup file but that seemed irrelevant because it saved new settings and I could import the previous settings.
All good therefore!